Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hanging electric heater

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mick in il.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying a 5000 watt hanging elect heater for my shop. Do any of you use electric to heat shop? and how do you like it.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mick in il. wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:00:15 12/30/12) I'm thinking of buying a 5000 watt hanging elect heater for my shop. Do any of you use electric to heat shop? and how do you like it.
17,000BTU just isn't much heat, but I guess it depends on the size of your shop & temperature you can live with. A typical 1500 square foot home will have about 80,000 to 100,000 BTU.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless its a real small and very well insulated shop???? a 5000 watt electric heater, especially one hanging up in the air, isnt a whole lot of heat (the 17,000 BTU JMOR mentioned) when it gets down to sub zero temps.

HOWEVER Just like when I ask the Eden Pure heater salesmen when they brag it will heat 1500 sq ft and I ask them to what temp.......Whats the outside temp,,,,,,,,Whats the insulation factor,,,,,,, Without knowing the shop size and insulation and outside temp and to what temp you want the shop,,, its hard to say what a 5000 watt unit will do

That being said and subject to your electrical cost, pure resistance electric heat isnt usually the cheapest thing out there (LP Gas or Natural Gas etc., especially high efficiency units)

BUTTTTTTT its simple quick cheap n easy to install with no flu or chimney or venting problems or plumbing etc etc and they do work well

best wishes

John T

K. Peters
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I heat my 24x28 insulated garage with a Fahrenheat 7500 watt heater. Seems to heat it easily, often wonder if the 5000 watt version would have been sufficient.
Overall I like it but be prepared for a much higher electric bill.

mick in il.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your input. Just a little more info for you, this shop is only 500 sq ft. And is well insulated, new windows, doors and the garage door is insulated also. It stays about 40* most the time.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5000 is plenty. But consider installing an Amana motel unit. Heat and Air for about 1000 dollars. I have two in my Shouse.

Ronald Anthony Anderson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two of those motel units for sale. They have been checked out and guaranteed to work. Both heat and air. 300.00 for the pair. Location, insulation are important factors.
For a smaller shop they would work good. But electricity isn't penny cheap anymore. I bought a large hanging electric heater and use it just to get the shop warm then shut it off and let a pellet stove do the rest.

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I installed a 5000W hanging electric heater in a customer's 2 car garage/shop. He keeps it set pretty low and just turns it up when he's going to be working in the garage. It's plenty big enough and for his limited use it doesn't cost much to run.
Those hotel/apartment heating/cooling units are plentiful and cheap right now. Check with the local subsidized apartment complexes or high rise apartments as the government is making them install more energy efficient units and the old ones are sometimes sold at incredibly low prices.My BIL works in maintenance at a senior high rise and changed out all theirs last year. The ones he took out were only 5 or so years old.

Last edited by Pops1532 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhhh thanks, with that new info, now a 5000 watt dont sound so bad.

At 240 volts such will draw around 21 amps so for the heaters Branch Circuit simply run a 10/2 plus Ground (3 wires total, 2 hots and bare/green equipment ground) circuit fed by a 240 volt Two Pole 30 amp circuit breaker and youre off to the races.

John T

Jim in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had one in the 400 sq foot garage/workshop when we lived in town. The garage was insulated, but not very tight (old wood panel door). Only used it when I was out there but it kept the shop very comfortable. It added $20-25 a month to the electric bill for four months of the year (early 90's), but to me it was worth it.

teadave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ronald: where are you located? i may be interested in the motel units

dhamps10
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the size, but I have one for sale in Flora, IL. $50 220 volt
Dennis

Ronald Anthony Anderson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live in southwestern Minn about 20 miles north of Marshall, Minn.

teadave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

875 miles is a little too far for me to go!

Ronald Anthony Anderson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hanging electric heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, don't blame you in the least. lol I have gone to Az and southern Texas to spend the winter a few times and always find good deals but impractical to get them home.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.