Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery for 4020

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilot199
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Battery for 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a '67 model 4020 which I converted to 12VDC
& a fast turning Denso starter a few years ago,
making my tractor work much more simple. Now, I"d
like to get rid of the saddlebag batteries & just
go with a single 12VDC battery.

I happen to have a couple of Interstate brand deep cell
marine batteries on hand. Anyone know if this type
battery will handle the load?

Thanks,

Gary

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might be completely wrong, but deep (cycle) marine batteries are batteries will hold their power throughout the draining (discharge)better than regular batteries, hence deep cycle. I use a marine deep cycle on my GN winch (stand-alone). As far as what battery will work on your tractor depends on the cold/cranking amps/ size of battery and what your tractor requires. Also consider your location when it comes to seasons (winter/summer)overall condition of your 4020, type of fuel (gas/diesel/LP). Go with something better than the required minimum you won't regret it. Too late to go to the barn and check on mine (LP) tonite, sorry, Pilot. Will venture out tomorrow.
Ralph in OK.

4020_1966
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run a large 8D semi tractor battery in mine. Physically it is a little bigger than 2 skinnies side by side. It is rated about 1500-1600 cca. I love it.

Last edited by 4020_1966 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
LITTLE RED
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I bought my 3020 back in oct. It was equipped with a marine deep cycle cranking, starting battery I'm going to get rid of it and go with an optimum red battery 1400 cc amps I'm not happy with my marine battery.just my opinion

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1) While a single "skinny style" side saddle mount (NOT talkin a huge 8D mind you) 12 volt battery can start the tractor in good temps, if it absolutely MUST start at sub zero temps that may not suffice, depending on condition of engine.

2) Sooooo if I were going to use those skinny side saddle 12 volt batteries and it had to start at sub zero temps ID RECOMMEND THE USE OF TWO WIRED IN PARALELL Now that will make that Denso whirlllllllllllll

3) Starting a tractor where you need a sudden short burst of very high short term starting current IS NOT WHAT DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES WERE DESIGNED FOR. ID RECOMMEND REGULAR TRUCK/AUTOMOTIVE STARTING BATTERIES NOTTTTTTTT DEEP CYCLES..........

Hope this helps

John T

Pilot199
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK men, thanks for the help.

Happy New Year,

Gary

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a 66 4020D and tired of the small dual batteries also. I have thought of converting the right battery box to hold a full size battery and getting it down to one battery.

Pilot199
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for 4020 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

David, if you do anything with your 4020 soon please let me know what battery you use & how it works out please. My tractor is out of state so it'll be a few weeks before I can get to it. Thanks.

Happy New Year,

Gary

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.