Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 600 transmission swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuelie74
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am getting ready to split my 640 and put a clutch in it. Currently I have a 4 speed transmission, non live PTO and a Sherman HI/LOW. While talking to someone I found a 860 that has a 5 speed, live PTO getting and its getting parted out because of a cracked engine block. They are asking $250 for the transmission including clutch and flywheel. I would really like to have a live PTO. Would this transmission be a direct bolt in for me and if so is there any extra parts I want to get with it? I am guessing the Sherman wouldn't work in front of the 5 speed?

RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will bolt right in.Sherman won't work. Get the flywheel bolts and trans to pinion coupler. Be sure that it is an 860 trans. Be sure to take the pto side cover off before you remove the trans. And prepare to clean out the hydraulic reservoir as they are usually full of gunk. Did 8XX and a 6x1
in the last few weeks.
Ron

mgriff543
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats a pretty good price, the clutch assembly alone is around $400.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a great price. Last time I saw *6* transmission conversion package priced it was easily $1000.00 more than that.

Red Ford
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't remember the details. I do remember that if you are using the 600 rear axle with an 800 trans there are a few parts that need to be swapped from the 600 trans to the 800 trans.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JUMP ON THAT!

Live PTO five-speed change overs go for $1,200+.

No, you cannot use your Sherman with a five speed but you can sell it for around $750.00. You MAY then be able to sell your 4 speed for $200 - $250.

It's a direct bolt in. Be certain to get all of the clutch linkage parts as well as the throw out parts.

DO NOT hesitate.

Dean

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

get it fast!

sell your combo .. sell your trans. you will be money WAY ahead!!

gatchelguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would it not be simpler to bolt the 600 motor onto the 800 power train? You would lose some HP but then you may not notice.

fuelie74
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I picked it up today. I think I got everything I need except for the flywheel bolts. They weren't sure what they did with them. Are they different than the bolts holding my flywheel on?

The transmission case also has some striped threads and some big gouges out of the area where one of the front axle radius rods attach. Any suggestion on repairing this? Is it a common problem?

RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bolts are shorter than the ones in a nonlpto flywheel. The bolt holes have to be dealt with as they go through into the transmission housing. The gouges I don't think Would hurt as long the housing is not cracked.
Ron

fuelie74
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 600 transmission swap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone have the specs on the flywheel bolts so I can find some replacements?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.