Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D14 HAND CLUTCH?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Too Far Gone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,Got a question for AC GUYS.On my d14 the hand clutch pulls good in both sides,but it doesnt snap over as tight as it had ought to,AND WILL at times not stay latched on the hi side,unless you clutch it,snap it into hi and take off from there.It pulls fine though,and tries to pull even in neutral position.How do you adjust it?Thanks for any helpful replies.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First- get yourself a reprint of the original AC service manual so you have the info. right there.
I'll hit some high points.
Access is through the side cover there by the handle. There are 9 shim stacks total, three lined up, in each of three places around the perimeter of the clutch. The total thickness of each set of three needs to always be the same. To tighten a clutch, you take a few shims out of one side, and put the same amount back in the middle. However the shims in the middle(between the two plates dividing the halves of the clutch) are longer. A good old AC dealer will have a drawer full somewhere. Maybe you'll have to buy new. It's a trial and error kind of thing, and sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. Do one side, then the other. If by moving shims you can't get it to snap and stay, then something is worn to the point of needing to be replaced.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are some washers and a bolt, that limit the forward travel, IIRR. You remove a washer, and put it on the other side of the plate. While you are down there, looking at it, check the set screw, at the bottom of the lever, for signs of looseness, or foreign matter caught between the plate with the notches, and the lever index point.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now you see why you need a service manual! While I was trying to peck out instructions on clutch adjustment, Dave was thinking of the exterior adjustments, which I totally dismissed. You can certainly try that first.

Too Far Gone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you guys.I'll try the set screw fist.I know a service manual would be great,but I dont have one and your a big help.

chevytaHOE5674
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That isn't a "hand clutch" it is a power director.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And how does that help him???

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very common for them to pull some in neutral at least in the lower gears like 1 and 2nd and reverse. You need the I-T manual AC-201 to explain the adjustments on that power director as A/C calls it. That is one manual I should get for my self since I have a D-17 but one of them round to it things

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know about the 201 manual, but the I&T AC- 17 has those adjustments.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As per the back cover of the AC-11 the I-T 201 covers the D14-to the 175 and all between. It does not even have a AC-17 listed and the back cover of the AC-202 does not list an I-T AC-17 either

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wonder if they don't print the AC-17 anymore. Mine is maybe 30 years old. Probably bought it about '83/84 when I got my second D17.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could well be that the AC-17 is no longer available and was replaced by the A-C 201 which list the D-14, D-15, D-17, D-10, D-12, 160 170 and the 175 all series of all of them. May well be like the AC202 I have which is about a 1/2 inch thick and covers from the D-21 up to the 7080 and all between which I'll not list because it is a long list as in 16 models and ALL series in them

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old is correct. They are all combined into one manual.
There are probably a few on eBay once in a while.

Too Far Gone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know what you mean.I use it regularly and with 4 kids,a wife who works nights,cows and having other tractors to keep going and 2 trucks and a car,and looking after my Mom.The manual,or absence of it at this time makes friends on here even more necessary.Ive given my knowledge and experiences more than once on forums here for more than 10 years without angry remarks,and I dont know why some folks find it necessary to try belittling somebody.I know its called a power director,but many also call it a hand clutch.See how far you travel with it in neutral!Thanks for all the HELP Fellas!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: D14 HAND CLUTCH? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep know where your coming form on help and being helps and it is sad that some have to be butts and answer you or others in ways that help no one but in stead hurts. Shoot if I remember you may have been one of the many that has stopped in to my place before

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.