Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

W20 case payloader question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave minn

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am thinking about purchasing a W20 case loader for our farm use,what are the good and bad in this machine and what should I check on before deciding??Thanks for any thing you can say!!Dave A

Roy Suomi
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At the township I used to work at, there was a W-20 loader..Good strong all round machine..I didn't care for the way it steered.. The cab steered with the front loader instead of the cab stationary with the rear section.. To all their own..I guess I was just more used to the Deere and Cat loaders..It was also 24 volt with 4 -6 volt batteries.. There was always a problem with starting.. When the 6's went bad , I installed 2- 12 volt batteries and had excellent results..Other than that, it wasn't a bad machine at all.. I put the engine oil drain on a hose so it was easier to drain the crankcase without dribbling oil all over the rear axle..

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

agree with Roy below, I have put many hrs on W-14/W-20 Case loaders very good long life machines, if I were looking at one confirm trans function as they have a good Allison trans but if they have been abused and or wore out they are pricey to repair, cnt

anteek49
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a W20b for years,Love it!It is *SS backwards from other brands in how it steers but is easy to service. Engine went South after years but installed 5.9 Cummins from a Dodge and now it is a MAN with less fuel consumption. Would love to get another one cheap.

curtis larson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was with Case when they came out with the "W" loaders. The plan was the wheels alway tracked. If you missed a rock with e front wheels one would miss with the rear as well. When you sit on the front you were suposed to see your work better. The ideas never really caught on

daveminn

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can you give me a price range on one??dave A

Front steering

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of the best loaders ever made had front steering often referred to as steering the bucket. Hough/Payloader is one of several where you steered the bucket. Takes a little getting used to but you always have complete visibility to the bucket.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a customer right now with a W30. Like others have said it steers backwards as compaired to many others. One thing to note about that is do not leave the bottom part of the doors open when operating the machine, or they will get torn up the minute you turn to that side. As far as repairs go it's no worse to work on than most others, at least for the things I've done to it so far. The main problem we have around here is that our local CASE construction equipment dealer closed down a few years back. Fortunately parts can still be obtained through our Ford/New Holland farm dealer. Thankfully the dealership has some good parts people as many ag tractor parts men would have problems with finding items on the heavy, construction stuff. Beyond that, based on what I have seen with this customers machine, if you can handle the screwed up steering it ought to be a good machine for you.

ihman73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I worked for a place that had a W14 and a 621B. Needless to say the W14 was only a backup or got used away from home when we needed the 621 there. It was ok but the air brakes freezing was annoying especially when you are a long way from help.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put a alcohol injector on the ones I ran and drained the air tanks dayly and then had zero air problems, but then we put them on all of our equipment that had air systems before the air driers came out cnt

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: W20 case payloader question? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aside from the other comments, my experience with these has been a good one. I believe the models I've operated were W20's & W30's, its been a long time. NYS thruway authority or whomever else agency wise, had quite a few of these, they were a common site at their auction, and many contractors would buy them, the state did maintain their equipment reasonably well, both loaders I ran were obtained from NYS auctions. I always thought they were a reliable loader, affordable too when surplused, great machine to start out on, when other equipment you need may warrant more money, these were always within reach compared to other more expensive models. We repaired the brakes on one, and ran a lot of hours on it. One mishap was when a hydraulic line blew with a full bucket over the dump body of an old Louisville ford tandem, collapsed the side, took a little work in the shop to fix that one. This loader was in a small gravel pit they owned and it sure loaded thousands of yards over the years.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.