Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tractor jack, Welders read this

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard from SE AZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like the tractor jacks made to lift all 4 tires at once using the lift are really sought after. I would love to have one myself. Why do you suppose no one with the skill and expertese to do so is making them? My be a money maker for someone. I don't trust my welding enough to do so.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would be afraid of the liability.
I'm certainly no lawyer, but if I was going to do something like
that I would want to consult one about limiting the liability.
Maybe I'm a coward, but I've worked hard for what I have.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

id say liability too, also some 'welders' lack the training to weld the parts properly, they look good but arnt myself i do weld but i sure wouldnt want my tractor up on any jack that i welded, i can build fence and fix stuff but i know my limits too plus using one of these jacks requires the user to use common sense, and thats rare today

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are times I wish I had one to look at and then copy. Know I could build one with no problem. As for liability to are many ways around that loop hole

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Richard from SE AZ wrote:

Why do you suppose no one with the skill and expertise to do so is making them? May be a money maker for someone.

The price of steel , supplies , labor , and overhead (insurance for one ) is one factor .

Another factor is a person with the where with all to build quality tractor stands can spend that time on better paying projects .

Set up time for one unit would be a couple hundred bucks . If you sold ten jacks , you could earn $15 an hour as an estimate . I don't think the market would support 100 units . Maybe someone like Red Rock Manufacturing could add this to their list , but I would think $200 plus would be the price .

It would be a labor of love for the N tractors that will find a builder . Just like rebuilding carbs or hydraulic accessories , it is not a big money maker but more of a hobby that you break even (if your lucky)

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:29:37 01/01/13) There are times I wish I had one to look at and then copy. Know I could build one with no problem.

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=965771

The other site has lots of building plans in the how to section .

Den N Ms
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ken,I think you have it down pat.Also you would be lucky if you could make a $1.OO after the cost of steel,chain/electric,welding rods/wire/gas and your time.

L. B,
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Again, liability. I may be wrong but I think it was made only to adjust and set the wheels width for row crops or terrain to be farmed. Its not to change the oil or anything like that as all the fluids can be drained as it stands. I bet somewhere there is an instruction manual that says don't get under the tractor while using this jack. Dell has the old books on this I think.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

L. B, wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:09:44 01/01/13) Again, liability. I may be wrong but I think it was made only to adjust and set the wheels width for row crops or terrain to be farmed. Its not to change the oil or anything like that as all the fluids can be drained as it stands. I bet somewhere there is an instruction manual that says don't get under the tractor while using this jack. Dell has the old books on this I think.

Stupidity of the end user won't protect you in a liabilty law suit. That said you have $50+ just in the tubing before you even get started. At a modest $25/hour labor the price gets well up there real quick. And then you have to ship a bulky heavy item.....

TOH

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To bad you didn't put it more like this
Jack plans??

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:54:19 01/01/13) To bad you didn't put it more like this
Jack plans??

Too bad your link doesn't work , he he . I have not figured out how to add text in place of the link , still trying .

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ken(Ark) wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:44:17 01/01/13)
old wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:54:19 01/01/13) To bad you didn't put it more like this
Jack plans??

Too bad your link doesn't work , he he . I have not figured out how to add text in place of the link , still trying .

Maybe this will work ?

JACK PLANS

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, you got it.

Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm wondering if this post took off from my post to the post below? If they will sell for $609.01 including shipping there seems there is room for someone to make money making them. Surely you could get a lawyer to make up a disclaimer to release you from any liability as long as you made a quality product. There is not that much to one, Shouldn't be that hard to produce one at a fair price and not get sued for doing so.
High Priced Tractor Jack

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor jack, Welders read this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuddy Duddy wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:08:45 01/01/13) I'm wondering if this post took off from my post to the post below? If they will sell for $609.01 including shipping there seems there is room for someone to make money making them. Surely you could get a lawyer to make up a disclaimer to release you from any liability as long as you made a quality product. There is not that much to one, Shouldn't be that hard to produce one at a fair price and not get sued for doing so.
High Priced Tractor Jack

Well that price is insane. I'd make a repop for anyone that wanted one for half that.

TOH

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.