Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody bought a tent lately?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking to buy a tent to take the family camping. I did alot of camping 26 plus years ago when I was in school but almost always either slept on the ground or simply under a tarp. The only time I slept in a tent was a big green canvas one my Grandpa had that was probably made back in the early 60's. Too my parents bought me a small two person tent that was OK for inclimate weather unless you happened to touch the side and then it would leak like a sieve where you touched it.

Over the years I know they have made alot of advancements in materials, etc but beyond that I have no clue who makes a good tent for occasional use anymore (ie the name brands), what kinds of materials to look for, etc, etc. Granted I know there are some that are supposed to be "top of the line", and they usually fetch 'top of the line' prices too. All I need is something for occasional use that won't break the bank. So, any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Kornfused

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought an 8 man tent several years ago at a garage sale for just a few bucks. Don't know what the fabric is but the tag says to spray with water before using to close up the fibers.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Consider a used pop-up tent trailer. When the wife and I were first married we did some back pack camping and that was good at the time, but with kids when you get that unexpected front suddenly comes through and dumps an inch of rain, being up off the ground makes a big difference. They are also very roomy.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have an REI store nearby, I recommend you go there and let their treehugger staff advise you. REI is careful to only sell quality products, and consequently their stuff tends to be on the expensive side. You'll regret paying two or three times what you might pay for a similar tent elsewhere, but you won't regret it later when you and your better half find yourselves in a day-long rainstorm. (If you want to find out how compatible you are with someone, just take them camping in the rain.)

I have an REI Hobitat 4 tent that I've taken to Oshkosh several years. It's quite dry and is tall enough to stand in. Big enough for two cots with space left over. I also purchased the "footprint" that REI offers for this tent. It's a heavy ground cloth sized custom for the tent, intended to protect the tent floor. The campground at Oshkosh is a mowed hayfield, and I've had tent floors punctured by alfalfa stalks; the footprint takes care of that problem.
Tents at REI

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To start out camping with a family, All the little things needed will add up quickly.
Look around for a rental place and rent the equiptment for the first time out. That will give you an idea if your family will enjoy camping.
Over the past 60 years I have camped with everything from tents to motor homes. If I were to start out on a budgut - I would look into a used popup camper. Everything you need will be in there except food and clothing.

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Much as I enjoy tent camping, Ibagree with you Showcrop.

Glenn

Steve Fawks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Domes are easy to set up, ocme in several sizes, don't take up much space to transport, and aren't that expensive. 'Course I use a 7' bell-backed wedge at rendezvous and my wife wants a lot of 'tin' at the lake.

Gene Dotson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check out the Eureka tents. I am very satisfied with mine. Be sure to get a tent that has a fly over the main tent to keep the moisture from penetrating.

Eureka is the manufacturer that makes tents for the military. I use mine when I camp with my airplane. Always use a double air mattress and have a electric pump to inflate it. Can't sleep on hard ground.

Gene

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as a younger man with family we went from tent to pop-up trailer to full travel trailer. now at age 66, of them all i like not having none the best. however, when we were actively camping we preferred the pop-up trailer the best. easiest, neatest and closest to camping than any other means.

CH(upstate,NY)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I second Eureka. Between backpacking and family camping I've had 3 in the last 40 years and have been very satified. My backpack tent climbed most of the 46 Adirondack High Peaks. I was so much younger then.

sixtyninegmc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 2 man Mountain Hardware tent several years ago, and I am in love with it. The bigger tents they make look to be just as good of quality, not cheap though. I live in Alaska and am an avid hunter and outdoorsman, and I have yet to get wet in that tent. It has been snowed on, rained on, rained on with 50 MPH gusts, and been out to 0F and not let me down yet.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I lived in a tent my uncle provided for me for a couple of years once. Never much cared for it since.

BTW, my uncle's name was "Sam".

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Watch CL listings. You can pick up a trailer pretty cheap, I saw a pop up listed here for 750.00. I kind like A/C-heat etc. You will find listings for tents there too.

DownSouth
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Funny you mention the old tent, I had one as a kid and used it a lot. I always remember my Dad telling me that if it starts raining, don't touch the material or it will leak. Many uses and it never rained, and I even dug the trench around the base as I was taught. Then one day it rained on a trip. Yep you guessed it, I had to confirm what my Dad told me not to do. Sleeping bag got soaked, I got soaked...sheesh. Later I advanced to a 62 Falcon station wagon, much nicer. Then at age 16 I got a cab over camper, talk about living high style. Many different RV's over the years and finally ended up with this set up we purchased in 97. Still have it, hardly ever use it though. Just costs too much now in my opinion. Maybe I should buy a tent again and start all over! Watching your thread for opinions!

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody bought a tent lately? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I second REI. Member since about 1980. They fixed a broken pole on a tent they didn't sell for free. Jim

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.