Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clutch alignment tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Happy New Year to all you folks who frequent this site. A few months back someone posted about a clutch alignment tool made of plastic, available at NAPA. My store needed the year and engine size in order to help. Can anyone provide with this info?
Thanks!

miner09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What tractor are you working on? Older Ferguson are --1 1/8--10 spline or 1 3/4 by 10 spline with .670 pilot. There is a 21 and 25 spline????

Richard L
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My guess he is working on a F 40.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you are talking about me.
Many NAPA people need a lead pipe to the side of the head, the autozone people need electroshock therapy.
When we were fighting with the 3165 dual clutch, my friend went home and got the plastic one, the steel $50 tool just didn't help. And all he owns is 70's into early 90's Chevy pick ups. If the tractor is already in half, just bring them the clutch plate. If they are so dumb as to not be able to work from that, walk out.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Believe it or not, the old guy at the Massey dealer here has alignment tools made out of wood. I guess he got someone to turn them to the specs he needed on a lathe.

Max in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes Richard, F-40 is correct. I do not have the tractor apart yet. Just want to be prepared.
Max

GarryinNC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have made several on the metal lathe out of broom handles, dowel rods, or solid plastic rod. They do not have to be splined, just made to fit the inner diameter of the splines & pilot bearing diameter. I guess that is stating the obvious.

Turning wood on a metal lathe is one thing I can do with precision!

Bruce(OR)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Schucks auto parts used to sell a universal alignment kit. Basic shaft that adapters would screw onto the end of, which would give you a snug fit into the flywheel bushing/bearing. Then a cone shaped slider that would center the clutch disc.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can buy a universal clutch aliment tool for around $15. That tool will work on any clutch system be it car/truck/tractor. Ya it will not fit a big rig but then how many clutches do you do on an 18 wheeler LOL. I got mine many years ago and keep it in a draw in my tool box

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is the kind that did not work too well- at all- with the 2 plate clutch. The plastic thing fit the pilot bearing, and we lined up all the splines on the tool, lined up the inner and outer shafts, got one set lined up to high noon, THEN it all wiggled together.

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need something a bit more substantial than plastic for use on a tractor. Get one turned up by someone with a lathe. I have attached the drawing for one.....John(UK) fergusontractors@hotmail.com

Bob (Aust)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch alignment tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John's French: "Selon le type de cannelures du moyeu" = Depending on the splines of the hub (or disk?).

I always used a turned down piece of broom handle!

Bob in Oz

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.