Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can this be happening?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugh McKinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I reinstalled the Delco generator on my 1955 70 L.P., and I'm still getting the kinks out of everything. The ignition switch is missing so I temporarily ran a hot wire from the negative post of the battery to the coil/distributor and voltage regulator. Everything works just fine, battery charges, starts easily. My question: before I reinstalled the generator, if I disconnected the hot wire from the battery, the engine went dead. Now, it keeps running, so to shut it off I have to shut off the fuel. No problem, but why does this work with my setup, but on any other motor vehicle I have owned, if you don't have voltage coming in from the battery, the engine dies, charging system or no charging system. Just wonderin'....

Machinery-Man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like your guessing at a wiring diagram....why no rewire like factor settings. I don't have the diagram but a parts manual, service manual would.

donarcher
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is runnig off of generator voltage.So you have to wire it
correctly.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have it hooked up in such a way that your not powering down the generator but you are unhooking the ignition from the battery but not form the generator system and by doing it that way the generator is still producing voltage so it keeps the ignition system powered up. Be careful because having it that way you can/will get a nasty shock that can in fact cause you harm and if you have a heart condition maybe kill you

rickdeere

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must put a diode in line.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Diode on a generator system???? Yes with an alternator but I have never in the 10 plus years heard of a diode on a generator system from any body on this site. From what he said he has the V.R. and the ignition wired together which is not correct

Hugh McKinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well said, and point taken. Does anybody have a wiring diagram concerning voltage reg, generator, and ignition switch? I of course need to buy all the related manuals, but Christmas wiped out all the $ for a while. But thanks to all for the input, including the warning about voltage and cardiac arrest, it is a timely and relevant point. Hugh

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hugh McKinney wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:48:49 01/03/13) Well said, and point taken. Does anybody have a wiring diagram concerning voltage reg, generator, and ignition switch?

Found this wiring diagram on this forum by using search function at the top of this page.

vvfarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember that tractor has a 6V coil & starter by- pass to improve starting,even though it is 12V.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The fact that it can hurt you is not something that is likely to happen but all it takes is less then 100Th of an amp to kill and a generator puts out 35 plus amps so yep many time more then enough to kill if you did get hooked up in a wrong way. I prefer to warn a people of something that is not likely to happen then to have it happen

Hugh McKinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How can this be happening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a big help, thanks!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.