Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here is how I act at sales!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Traditional Farmer accused me of being a "Nanny" to others. Well I can sleep very well with that term. Here is how I handle things at auctions.

1) This was at a sale at Elizabeth, ILL. just this last spring. An older long time Elizabeth farmer died in his early to mid 80s. He only had one son that was not interested in farming. He lives in Chicago and is a police officer there. The son did decide to keep the family farm and rent it to relatives. He also kept a 1970 JD 4020 diesel his Dad had bought new. While the sale was going on I saw several metal covers off of various pieces of equipment on one of the junk wagons that had not sold yet. I got the son over and showed him that one of them was the three point lift linkage cover for the tractor he was keeping. His Dad had it off replacing the three point control cable and had not put it back on. These are kind of high priced if you can even find a good one. He was very glad to not have it sell. Plus many of the other shields/metal covers went on other things he had that would sell later in the day. I showed him what they fit and the son put them with each piece they went with. Helping the son out DID not cost me anything. I helped him on something he had zero knowledge on. I would hope he would help me on something related to his job in Chicago.

2) This auction was just this fall West of Worthington, Iowa. I was watching the junk wagons sell. There where some brand new White plow parts there: five new points, shins and land slides. These would fit the plow that was on the sale later. When they came up for sale I told the auctioneer right there what they where for. I bought all of the parts for $10. I really was interested in the plow as well. So later when the plow sold I did bid on it but it went higher than I wanted to go. The plow needed all the new parts I bought put on it as the ones on it where worn out. I asked the winning bidder if he was interested in the plow parts. He was. I told him I had given $10 but they where worth $150-200. I said make me an offer. He said $50. I told him sold. There was zero problem with that as I had the auctioneer announce what the parts where for. The fellow that bought the plow had seen the parts but did not want to buy them and not get the plow. So we both went home happy.

So maybe I am a NANNY. LOL

Everyone have a good day.

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Traditional Farmer made a profit on loader arms. You made a profit on plow parts.
You like to share your knowledge. Good for you.....but don't condemn those that don't.
Both of you could have made more money selling them to someone else.
It appears TF makes at least part of his living by buying items and reselling. That is a tough way to earn a living. Many people that make their living that way take years, even decades to learn the business. They're usually not eager to give that knowledge away. There's nothing immoral about it.

RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD the only thing that that comes to mind is "Nanny Nanny BOO BOO" To be said with thumbs in ears and fingers out stretched.... Sorry could not resist. I Think there is a time to use your knowledge to help and a time use that same knowledge to make a profit which is what your story illustrates.
My Brother and I went to a local farm auction we had a number of things there and the the very last was a stack of florescent lights that came out of a freezer that My brothers BIL gave us. They are on the last row of misc. stuff at the end of the day. We were sitting waiting for the auctioneer to work his way down the line. A guy we know and do business with and has an abattoir sits down with us. (The guy is a real pain to work with always trying to get over on you.) He says he has been here all day just to buy those lights. I don't think any body here has a clue what they are worth they are for a walk in freezer and I priced a 4ft. one this week and it was $185 and most of those are 8ft. which are more. He says I have had my eye on them all day and only one person has shown any interest at all I am going to buy them and I plan to "steal" them. What are Yall doing here this late in the day? So we told him We were just waiting to see what our stack of lights were going to bring. he didn't speak to us for a long time and He didn't steal either.
Ron

S.Crum
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Absolutely! As "the old guy's" we need to and are essentually obligated by the Bible to impart the wisdom we have gained to the next generation. Few want to acknowledge this concept. But then the saying 'Good judgement comes from experience, and a heck of a lot of that comes from bad judgement'. Pride and indifference play a heavy role in this. I run in to this frequently at work. I've been a supervisor for 28 years now so I have a fair handle on most things pertaining to my job, especially people related issues. What is sometimes hard for the younger set to grasp is the rule book and it's codes of conduct. I end up explaining how those rules are not suggestions, but put in place first for safety, then quality and then productivity. I do have some leway to deal with perticular circumstances which I have learned and done many times. A few go down the road because they won't be pushed around by an old guy like me, a few more take the passive aggressive approach but usually end up going down the road later. And the rest actually 'get it' and find things are so much easier.
JDseller keep doing what you obviously enjoy doing. This is our form of "Quantative easing" that can make things better by putting out the currency of wisdom backed by the gold of wisdom. Some will get it and some will not.
I got your back man!

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're right I have more time and effort invested in my "Auction Education" than most any Lawyer or Doctor have in their education and I don't see those folks giving out their knowledge.If I know someone well thats a friend I'll gladly help them but for the most part
I just Mind My Own Business and let others mind theirs.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty silly for you to got to auctions and not resell the items you buy for a profit,but of course you resell for a profit.Selling at home after the auction is no different than selling at the auction.Buyers try to get the best of sellers at auctions and sellers try to get the best of buyers and I've seen it go both ways dozens of times.Some people hate auctions I love them.

Ivan in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went to a sale a couple years ago that had an 8 N tractor on it. I stopprd the day before when they were setting things up and looked at the tractors that were for sale. At this time they all had drawbars and 3 point hitches on them. The day os the sale the drawbars and 3 point hitches were gone. I asked the one son about them and he said the auctioneer told them sell them seperate as they would bring more money that way. So i decided then I did not want any of the tractors they had. But id id buy a complete 3 point hitch and a short drawbar for less than 20.00. I needed these for another tractor that I was working on. I then left the sale so I don't know what the rest sold for. I was at another sale where i knew the guy all my life. He had several small tractors and they ran them all out to the line to be sold. I was talking to one of his sons and he told me that the family was going to bid on the one tractor. Well along comes a dealer and walks over to the tractors and mess around with them. I saw him screw the carb adjustment out so they would not start. Just before they were to sell the son and I went and readusted the carb so they would start and stood by them until they we sold.

DoubleR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You see that alot at sales. The owner dies suddenly and someone else sets the sale up. They have no idea what goes with what. I beleive we all do the samething. Take something off a piece of equipment and put it somewhere. Buy new parts for something place them in the shop and they are not put on. Someone else comes along after your gone and don't have a clue. I try to point things out to my sons when they are around in case or should I say when that happens to me. I would want someone to get whatever went to any thing that was sold. Not to mention my family getting a better price for the item as a result.
I would and have done the samething as you did. I would point it out before it sold if reasonably possible to do so. I would sleep better knowing I treated someone as I would want to be treated.

Ron in NS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's good to know that there are still some honorable people at these sales. So many times it's dog eat dog out there, and no wonder why some people new at this come away from sales with a very bitter taste in their mouth.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got another one that'll probably ruff some feathers and I learned a good lesson one day.Years ago I was at a dealer sellout auction late December drizzled rain all day started to freeze some in the PM and I was about 100 miles from
home I had bought some stuff but the biggest problem was how to get a huge pile of tractor weights loaded that were about 100 yards from where I could get the truck and trailer.One loader tractor on the scene I went over to the guy and said I needed the weights loaded he said a whole lot of others needed stuff loaded too.So I handed him a $20 bill and then asked where I was in the line of people to get loaded he said
"You just went to #1" Obviously there were two lines the paying line and the free line(LOL) After that if it its a sale I figured I was going to need to have some things loaded I always find the loader man give him a Ten$ and tell him I expect to have some stuff to load and it'll be another tip after the sale according to how much I have.I almost always get great loader service while those standing around waiting for the Freebie loader service wait.When it comes to loading at sale I've found you really get (or don't get)what you pay for (or don't pay for)
As they used to say $$$$ Talks and BS Walks or at sales cheapskate BSers load by hand(LOL)

j hikemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Know what ,been watching the fuss and all the strife you report , and all in allyou all are doing a goood job taking care of biznez.. Granpa always said ,, :"IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING A FEW TOMATOES THROWN AT YOU EVERY NOW AND THEN , YOU AINT DOINGG NUTHIN " ,, relax JD Seller ,you would make anyone a fine neighbor ..and guys like you make this country GREAT

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In That situation the person that messes with something like that tractor is a crook for sure and needs to be run off the auction grounds.I guess I'm a Nanny sometimes I was at a neighbor's estate sale and someone messed with a rare Oliver I had sold the man that died awhile before he died.Great tractor ran like a top but wouldn't start come to find out someone had taken out the rotor button.Anyway when it wouldn't start and bidding started slow I spoke up and told the crowd what I knew about the tractor and that I'd guarantee I'd get it running before the end of the day it bought a good price and I knew the buyer anyway so we had it running in short order.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In that case the sellers need to do a little research and get an honest auction company that knows what they're doing.Instead most sellers shop auctioneers by price and they get lousy service.If they're completely clueless then they need to hire a knowledgable 3rd party to manage the sale to set op the suff to be sold and to keep an eye on the auction company.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep if you expect someone to look out for you and cuddle you bypass the auction and go spend the day with Mama.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Here is how I act at sales!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quantative Easing is NOT backed by Gold or anything else and it always leads to the to bankruptcy and
destruction of those that have tried it.Its a false illusion of hope that ends in disaster.Excellent comparsion excepct that false information about it being backed by Gold.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.