Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peeling Clearcoat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slowpoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Peeling Clearcoat Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a '90 Chevy full size van with clearcoat on the front that's peeling badly. Some time ago there was a post about someone polishing/removing the bad clearcoat on a vehicle, but I can't find it. Can someone say where it is?
Thanks,
Slowpoke

wayneh
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Peeling Clearcoat Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sorry.. the only real solution is to strip it, put base on it, and clear it in 2013...

Wayne

RalphWD45
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Peeling Clearcoat Reply to specific post Reply with quote

last month I had that problem on a 95 ford 150. I ran it thru a local shop, and got it in perfect mechanical shape, scheduled a body shop for the last of jan, to get the hood and cabroof repainted,then on dec 24 I took an elk broadside across the grill, and solved the paint problem. paid $300.00 tow bill, sent title to tow company, and canceled the body shop.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Peeling Clearcoat Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was probably a water based clear. There is nothing anyone can do with a pealing clearcoat but to refinish the car. If you peal off what is loose and add clear to that spot then next month another spot will pop up. There would be no end to it.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Peeling Clearcoat Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we did a lot of the de-lams here at the shop. real common problem. too much time elapsed on the assembly line between base/clear operations and had adhesion problems. if you have a good size air compressor, use a male and female air chuck fitting and screw them together, than snap that on to your air hose for a large bore air blower. it should knock most all the old clear off. a good quality duck tape can also be applied to pull off the clear. or a high pressure washer. once all the clear is removed, d/a sand with 320 lightly to clean everything up, thenwet sand with 400, wax and grease remover/tack rag it/ then 2 coats of base/then a couple coats of clear. you factory base coat should still have good adhesion. some guys will use a sealer over the old basecoat, but if its still solid, i dont see the need. i would use either a ppg or r-m base clear. not dupont.

MO8N4ME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Peeling Clearcoat Reply to specific post Reply with quote

glennster wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:54:20 01/05/13) we did a lot of the de-lams here at the shop. real common problem. too much time elapsed on the assembly line between base/clear operations and had adhesion problems. if you have a good size air compressor, use a male and female air chuck fitting and screw them together, than snap that on to your air hose for a large bore air blower. it should knock most all the old clear off. a good quality duck tape can also be applied to pull off the clear. or a high pressure washer. once all the clear is removed, d/a sand with 320 lightly to clean everything up, thenwet sand with 400, wax and grease remover/tack rag it/ then 2 coats of base/then a couple coats of clear. you factory base coat should still have good adhesion. some guys will use a sealer over the old basecoat, but if its still solid, i dont see the need. i would use either a ppg or r-m base clear. not dupont.

I agree. Sometimes it's trial and error. Not all delamination adheres the same, also depending on manufacture. I had some jobs that the clear would come off with a razor blade in a razor blade scraper tool. Then DA the basecoat. They were all a pain in the ___!

Slowpoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Peeling Clearcoat Reply to specific post Reply with quote

glennster, thanks for giving me hope and info that I can do it. It's mostly the front end, hood and on a decal stripe along the bottom of the hood. Is there a place that sells the stripes for a '90 van? The original will probably get messed up.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Peeling Clearcoat Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The factory stripe is nla. Go to a body shop supply and see if you can match up the stripe, or get something as close as you can. Otherwise you will need to take an eraser wheel to remove all the stripe and re stripe with what ever is avaliable.

MO8N4ME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Peeling Clearcoat Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might try a Dealer Services Vender...you know-the guys who do used car lot sevices like touch up and striping. Some times they can duplicate factory stripes. They can be pretty creative. Ask a dealer who they use, or try the yellow pages under 'Dealer Services', Auto Detailing, or Auto Customizing. I had a guy make up stripes for an old Mustang Cobra that were no longer available.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.