Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snow Plow Edge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpetfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know in the past, I have read about some of you splitting a section of pipe length wise and using that on the bottom of your snow plow edge to keep from digging up gravel. I was just wondering if you could post some pictures of the end product and maybe provide a little insight as to how well it works. Could be because I haven"t seen it work, but I"m a little skeptical. Since you have a rounded edge instead of a shearing edge, doesn"t it want to ride up on the snow, leaving a layer probably 1/2-1" thick, or does it stay on the gravel surface and just leave a thin film?

Paul Simmer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never used them on anything but a pickup mounted plow. Typically, we only used them the first few plows until the ground froze. We then removed them. They would ride up if you kept them on for the winter. I don't have any photos of them. The local welding shops here typically had them available or could make one up quick. Plasma cutter to cut the slot, weld a tab on each end, drill a hole in the plow and bolt them on. Sure saved a bunch of time putting gravel back in the spring.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some one posted pictures just the other day where he had cut a piece of PVC pipe and put on his blade

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom Bond posted pictures in the Ford forum just above this forum about half way down on the first page I just checked so I could say where it was

kylemorley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't image PVC would do the job. PVC loses impact strength - exactlty the thing it will need in this application - dramatically as the temperature gets down to freezing.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have neighbor that is in the snowplowing business and has 5 snowplow trucks. He has 2 of them set up with a rubber edge on the blade so they don't mess up driveways and grass.
He says they work great.

WetWilly
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is how I rigged my blade. Works good for me. No gravel in the windrow of snow.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve posted those pictures several times so do an archive search. If you can"t find them, get back with me and I"ll post them again.

I have used one since 1988 when developed it for my gravel driveway with excellent results. In my design, the pipe is split and a plate is inserted and welded in the slit portion that is match drilled to basic blade. I remove the grader blade and bolt on the snow edge. On of the posters on this site developed one that is attached differently and does not require the grader bladee to be removed.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You best check the archives it has been talked about many many many times over the years and yep you will find many posts about doing just that. All I was doing was telling a person where to find what he wanted to find so don't shoot the messenger

carpetfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like it works pretty good. I"ve got some scrap pipe, I"ll have to try it out.

Don Pa.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do the same as Wetwilly, except I use the grey 2" electrical conduit pipe on a 6' front mount blade. White PVC seems to be a bit brittle in the cold weather. Works great. Once the ground is frozen it comes off.

TheBoro
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Plow Edge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Works Great. From the first plow to the last of the season. The "all-thread" makes it so I can raise and lower the pipe as needed.

Last edited by TheBoro on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.