Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I did the unthinkable today!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sent my oldest 642 parts combine to the big scrapyard in the sky.I came across a GREAT deal on a combine of another color last weekend and had to sacrifice this one to finance the deal.I spent all day with the torch getting off all the parts that were still in usable shape.This model 642 was a lot different than the 1974 and newer models so not a lot was the same as mine anyway.Santa Claus took most of my money and I cant pass up the deal on the one I found .Now I kinda see what a drug addict goes through having to sacrifice one thing to be able to feed the addiction, and watching this one roll away on the lowboy to the scrapyard was like watching your prized hog walk off the trailer at the salebarn knowing it will never come back.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What color is the new one?
Are those Fords metric?

Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hear you, sold my first reg. Angus bull last month. He was 8 yrs old, I had owned him since he was 18 months, I was proud of him. It's a vicious cycle. I'm with Bob, share the news, what's the new member of the herd?

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Green,and yes the Fords are metric.They are built by Claas of germany and this particular one was the same as a Dominator 80.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I worked at an AC/NH/NI/Brillion/etc/etc/ dealer '72-'84. They sold several of the NH combines. I could never figure out why. I hated working on them with a passion. They were my first experience with metrics. And after working on simple Gleaners, they were a nightmare!

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, as long as it wasn't repairable, and you took any good parts off, I don't see any harm. But -green- ???
Or is that Claas green? :)

There's a thread on tractor talk about 3 Claas 108's at a scrap yard here in WI. Sounds like a different story than yours.

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fordfarmer, you hit the nail on the head---Claas green!You have read enough of my posts to know that I am a Claas man and anyone would be hard pressed to get me in the other green even though some love them just like I like my Claas machines.I ran across a good deal on a green and white Dominator and will try to go get it next saturday.I will post pics and more info then.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking forward to the pics!!

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well Done Haley! I'm looking forward to the photos too!

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

why is working with metric any different than standard???? the nuts and bolts have the same rotation thread, just you need a different wrench...

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had all the standard bolt, nut, wrench size combinations right in my head, and of course had the tools. I had none of that with metrics.

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I did the unthinkable today! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see what you mean Bob... i grew up in the UK and worked on machines that i swear were made using both metric and standard stuff... then on the older stuff, especially pre war stuff, they"d have whitworth nuts and bolts... try finding a wrench to fit that...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.