Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine oils

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busted

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you think is the best engine oil for a stroker pulling motor? What do u think about synthetics? Is their any benifits?

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We just use 15X40. Partly because that is what is in the barrel. And I change oil often.(No Oil Filter) and short it about 2 quarts. Just use Hicks brand, they are a packager just North of DuQuoin Il.

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe that synthetics are better oils, but that's just me, and everyone has their opinion.

I use 10W30 for a gas, and 15W40 for a diesel that only sees summer warm weather action.

Vic is right on about frequent changes. Many of these old tractors don't have full flow oil filtering, and oil can get full of, and spread around contaminants very quickly, especially if you have a new motor.

bp4455
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ive seen 2hp on the dyno and the motor seems a bit snappier with synthetic.

Lynerd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bobistheoilguy.com In the forum one puller asking about his M Farmall. Lynn

1948 mm

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just use a straight 30w diesel oil, I figure you can't go wrong with a straight weight oil and diesel oil has a little more zinc in it.

Gary Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem with diesel oils is no zinc after 2006. So newer diesel oils dont have zinc aditive. Gasoline car oils are better in that respect. Schaeffers still offers diesel oil for pre 2007 diesel engines and it has zinc in it. Ask your supplier if pre2007 diesel oil is still available.

LW
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ADMAX..

DAVE Thompson jr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gary years ago I used to work for a trucking company that had Cat 3406 engines in all of there trucks. We used Rotella t 15-40 in all of them and changed it every 10 thousand miles. the engines would go a million miles with only having the rod and main bearings changed every 300 thousand. Might change a head gasket now and then and waterpumps and an injection pump other than that the oil always done its job. Why wouldnt you use that oil in your engines. I run it in everything that I own. Ive never torn a truck engine apart or anything that that was used in that was dirty or a mess inside.

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royal purple, Edelbrock, and Joe Gibbs all make an oil with Zinc.

I guess our tractors fit into the "offroad use only" catagory.

Gary Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave, the goverment made the oil companies stop using zinc in there diesel oils and pretty much ruined the oil. I would not use it in my lawn mower.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

because Case, deere and others have better oil than rotella. as for my pullers I just use Bomgaars or Harvest King 10w40. Farm diesels get Case No.1 30w

Mike in Mn.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been using Rotella T with a bottle of zinc additive in my puller, I use Rotella and Amsoil in my farm tractors. I have my puller engine torn down and it has a lot of carbon on the pistons and head and plugs after just one season, I'm going to switch to something else, I'm thinking Amsoil 15-40. What do you think of the zinc additive??

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gary I forgot to say I am getting the old formula, pre 2007. Also it is a lot cheaper. Vic

colekicker
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zinc is simply an anti-wear additive. When the engine heats up, the zinc bonds to the metal and protects the engine better in a cold start condition.

In a puller, not sure it is doing that much for how long we run them.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.