Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats this on my converted alt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey All,

Anyone know what this doohickey is?

It"s on my 650 that had a 12V conversion forced upon it. The wire comes from the dash and goes into a splitter and is connected by this Radio Shack device. Any ideas if I actually need it?

I"ll see if the photo upload is friendly...

Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's the resistor/diode looking thing just above my proctologist glove.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a resistor..

and?

it should be in between key switch and #1.

with #2 jumped to charge stud.

it's the isolation device that takes the place of a 194 lamp or diode to isolate the vreg in the alt from the ignition.

no high magic here.. Smile

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forced upon it?
I'd say the tractor was lucky.
Or you are.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

one thing i'll say. the alt conversions for the 53-64 machines are clean.. you can hang one on with a commercially available bracket set.. or easilly make your own, and it looks good.. not kludged or grafted. AND you don't sacrifice anything at all.. period... .. like with a 65+ tach drive unit genny.

I actually don't mind an alt on a 53-64... though I do like my stealth 12v conversion on my 950 using a gen from a diesel 01 Smile

Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might not be magic to you guys, but that's why I asked.

Is there an inline version of this resistor? This one is already corroded because the alternator and this piece jut outside the hood and was in the elements for years before I bought it.

Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't see all the taped up wire nuts that are scabbed onto the harness. I'd rather have stock 6V and do my own butchery.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you are looking at the 'inline' version.

inline is just a mounting technique.. :)

you can clean it up and just resolder it to wires and tuck unde the hood.. etc.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do it!

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put my diodes in with a crimp connector on each end and cover all of it with heat shrink. It looks pretty good.

Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To replace it, I just take it to Radio Shack and ask for a new one the same color code, or is there a certain type recommended?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

why replace it.. just re-use it.

you are trying awfully hard to make this very easy issue very very difficult.

it's a resistor.. it don't go bad unless it smokes and burns in two or the legs break off.

clean up and put some crimp connectors on it and re-hook it.

or stick a 194 lamp inline from key to #1

Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds good. Thanks for the help one and all!

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your tractor, your call of course.
How many other 6V machines do you have?
What's in your daily runner, wife's car, lawn tractor, motorcycle, 4 wheeler, snowmobile, boat, RV/camper or hot rod if you have them?
Why would anyone want an oddball 6V machine that can't jump or easily Be jumped by everything else he has?

Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Whats this on my converted alt? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ride British motorcycles. 6V pos ground neither thrills me nor scares me. Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.