Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD 60- Transmission counter shaft question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordon S
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: JD 60- Transmission counter shaft question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going through the tranny on my 60. I have replaced the straight rollers and cone on the countershaft. I can not remember if the thick steel trust washer is supposed to spin freely after the rightside cone bearing is placed on the shaft. Unfortunately the JD manual does not tell. can someone please advise?
Thanks for your help!!
Gordon

Machinery-Man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: JD 60- Transmission counter shaft question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the countershaft is supposed to be tight, you have the retaining ring on the left side sitting on the tractor that tightens it. The side movement is controlled by the bushing on the right side and if you cone bearings and race is worn you will need to remove the shims or replace the bearing and race. Kinda concerned that you"ve been in there and have these questions after the fact. Thee can"t be any clearances or slop between the gears and spacers.

Gordon S
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: JD 60- Transmission counter shaft question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I understand that the shaft needs to be tight with the correct free play adjusted by the shims on the the left side bearing housing. My question is regarding the thrust washer. Should it be tight against the cone with no free spin or should it be able to rotate on the shaft.
Thank you

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: JD 60- Transmission counter shaft question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been awhile,but does't that washer get sandwiched between the bearing and a step on that shaft? If so the bearing will be pressed on and it should be tight.

Gordon S
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: JD 60- Transmission counter shaft question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's the one! Thanks for your help Mike!

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: JD 60- Transmission counter shaft question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this the part your asking about? If so here is a picture of how mine came out.Roller bearings were bad on mine.

Gordon S
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 60- Transmission counter shaft question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fred,
Thats it exactly. I replaced the rollers on mine as well along with every other bearing in the tranny, pto and rear axles. Did okay finding bearings on e bay and saved a bunch. Did you replace that washer? It also looks like those straight roller bearings and spacers will move side to side on the shaft. Did you measure the play by any chance? Just wanna make sure I get this right!!!
Thanks for the picture!!!
Gordon

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.