Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey y'all, hope everyone's having a sweet weekend :)

Anyway, I decided a while back that I really wanted to buy a nice 1/2" Impact. I used to have a cheapie, and broke it a few years back, and I didnt have money to replace it, but I always wanted to... And then recently after a few "Man, I wish I had a good Impact right about now" moments, and some christmas money, I decided it was time.

I asked around here and got, overall good impressions and positive opinions about the 231. I looked around some more and found that some "real" mechanics say there are better guns out there for anyone who uses them 8+ hours a day, but for the couple times a month I plan to run this thing, I figured it was exactly what I was looking for.

I came across a set on Lowe's website that looked very promising, it had a 231g and a nice 3/8" drive air ratchet for $150.

One late-night trip to the "local" store, and we were in business!!

Wow, that thing is SWEET!! Has a VERY solid and well built feel, it's easy to adjust once you get used to that weird switch, and it has a ton of power.

We wanted to put it to the test, so we took out our aggressions on some poor, innocent looking hardware. It snapped a grade 8 bolt with a 9/16" head, and tore the threads off a 15/16" bolt I had laying around.

It has no shortage of power, and even sounds awesome when you're running it. While I was at it, I picked up a nice set of Kobalt Impact sockets, which I'm also very pleased with. Sure they're Taiwanese, but Kobalt hand tools are by far the best Imported hand tools I've ever used.

I'm sure it'll be in a LOT of videos to come. What made me decide to get it right when we did, was that I had to remove the bumper from my Silverado. It was held on by 8 bolts, and 4 of them were almost impossible to reach, and completly impossible to remove with hand tools, they're in a tight space and you just can't get the leverage you need to twist them loose.

The Ingersol Rand had them off in no time.

I even like the little ratchet that came with the set.

The main body is a little on the "plasticky" side for my taste, but it looks pretty useful and even tho it only claims to put out 50 foot pounds of torque, neither Wes nor Myself could stall it with our hands. I'm sure I'll get a lot of use from that, as well.

What don't I like?

Really, my only complaint is the case. Its a cheezy plastic case from the beginning, and whoever designed it didnt feel the need to leave space for air fittings.

Thus, if you want it to close, you have to take the quick-connects off your tools...

Anyway, I'm pretty thrilled with my new toy. It's everything I hoped it would be :)

Well, have a great 2013, everyone. Next up, a nice 3/4" Drive Wink

video1

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice tool Lance! Don't forget to give in a little drink of air tool lube every time you use it.

Ellis Kinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lanse, I thought you were supposed to be saving your money for school. Ellis

Grampy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good investment, it will last you a long time, just do what Chris said, keep it oiled !!

redtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that little ball bearing in the center is a grease fitting like a CV joint has. You can grease it with a needle greaser

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definately get the needle greaser as Redtom said. That Ingersol will have a long life if properly cared for.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They sell a special grease for air guns ,,, when it gets tired and you buy a replacement take the slide button (forward and reverse) out of the old gun and turn the center down (this is were you get the 0-5 speed adjustment restriction) you then will have a SUPER 231 that will out perform a brand new 231 ...

When the C clip on the 1/2" drive wares out you can buy replacements that come with the tool to install them...

http://www.vehicleservicepros.com/product/10146982/just-clips-llc-clipad-snap-ring-installation-tools

SDMike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lanse, try to pick up a "boot" for that IR impact gun. It should cost about $12-$20, but they are worth it. They are a plastic/rubber cover that fits tight on the gun. Helps keep it from getting too dirty and scuffed up.

Mike

gunther9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like the air gun was made in China. Why worry about where the sockets were made?

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello lance,
Nice gun! Mine is an old(30+years) CP.
Here it is with cover and air intake set-up,
Guido.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a new IR 231 Impact (Pics + Video) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like the 231. They are not the most powerful but theye are pretty good and will last longer than the racehorse models.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.