Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low cranking speed 1460

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kryptonix
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Low cranking speed 1460 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1460 that cranks very slow. Sometimes I turn the key and nothing hppens. In warm weather it is usually not a problem but cold days are bad. So far I have replaced batteries with new napa golds, new alternator, starter rebuilt. I have traced wires back to cab to look for exposed wires that could be shorting out. No luck there but there is a good amount of wires that I cant get to. I was next looking to replace the battery cables but Case wants my firstborn as a down payment. Any other ideas? Could the keyswitch cause this problem?

ihman73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Low cranking speed 1460 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No I would bet that the cables are the problem. The starter solenoid if older could also be a possible issue as well. You have an amperage flow issue to the starter, if it cranks at all that rules out the "safety" switches, wiring, key switch, inching pedal switch and anything else forward of the engine compartment.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Low cranking speed 1460 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sure you already know this, but check your
grounds. The vast majority of this kind of problem
are bad grounding. Noone looks at those connections
much. Some times it's rust between the starter and
engine block.

RedRoundhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Low cranking speed 1460 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ditto on checking the ground cable, and the
starter to engine block mounting area; the starter
grounds via the starter case to the block
(usually). Did you clean the paint off of the
rebuilt starter? I usually buff the starter
flange and where it meets the block, buff the
block, and I then apply dielectric grease when I
bolt the starter on.

If you have a voltage meter, you can isolate the
battery cables, and check resistance in the cables
themselves; you may have a bad cable. Sometimes
only the cable ends, where the crimped connectors
are, are the problem.

A good analog voltmeter is a good investment!

Best of luck!

RedRoundhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Low cranking speed 1460 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a wire resistance calculator.

http://chemandy.com/calculators/round-wire-resistance-calculator.htm

kryptonix
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Low cranking speed 1460 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try checking the resistance of the cables. Hopefully its not the starter grounding issue as I had a heck of a time installing that. It's a little tight in there! Very Happy

Dr. Ed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Low cranking speed 1460 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the ground between the battery and the engine. Usually it is just clamped under a transmission mounting bolt and if it corrodes just a little bit pretty soon it is a lot. Many semi's run a ground cable from the battery to a stud on the starter but not too many tractos or combines do.

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Low cranking speed 1460 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On old VWs I put in a second solenoid sometimes. There is a lot of wire and resistance from the battery to the ignition switch and then back to the solenoid. They usually spin over much faster then.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.