Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cole seed plates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I picked up an old cole planter, probably was horse drawn at one time. It has single hopper. The plate size is about 8" wide with a center hole of about 4 1/2". They are metal seed plates. Are these plates available anywhere?
Thanks, Kirk

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cole is still in business, google it.

JoeBlackeby
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kirk, i have a lot of them....
the horse drawn coles had a handle to disconnect the drive (as you left the field) HTH

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cole is still around, can't remember what the name changed to,
company is in GA. They have regular farm dealers, One in MD is
Mullinex's in Howard County, MD.

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it has a handle that sticks up at the rear by the wheels. Plates are kind of roundish not flat like my old McCormick plates. I wll try to post some photos later today of the planter and maybe you will know what model it is.
Thanks, Kirk

dustycoal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

good simple planters, seed plates are easy to find even on ebay. watch for clockwise or counter clockwise turning plates, most turn clockwise.

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the planter. Looking at the seed plate it turns clockwise to the right.

Kirk

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The original Cole was sold to Powell Mfg. then they sold it to Covington Planter company. The new company does not service much of the older stuff. Your planter plates might be available if the fit any of the newer stuff.

There are some pictures of the old horse drawn planters on this page.
Cole Planter Web site. Company history page

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kirk look down below I replied to Bret4207 rather than the top of the thread. I posted a link to the current company. You could call them and see if they still have the plates you need.

CharlieNJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kirk, here is a picture of one of my Cole mule drawn planters. Notice the mule hitch up front. This one bolts to my tool bar. This one has two seed cans(at the front) and one fertilizer can at the rear. One shift lever allows for one, both, or no seed drop from the seed cans. The other lever controls fertilizer. This "duplex" planter has the clockwise and counterclockwise seed plates.
Seed plates sometimes come up on this site, Craigslist, and E-bay. You just have to keep looking because many of these planters are still used for food plots and deer plots.
Best Regards,
Charlie

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Boy that's a nice HiCrop Charlie.
I thought about mounting the cole planter to a layoff bar on a cub. But since I have the 172 planter mounted on my HiCrop cub I thought I would mount the cole planter to a fast hitch for one of my other cubs.
I don't know if you do any plowing with your HC but I might have a dirt plow for the super A/140 fast hitch for sale.

CharlieNJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: cole seed plates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kirk, that's a real fine looking Hicrop Cub. I have never been around one of those. Yes, mount that old Cole planter and use it, they work well, I use mine for corn and bean food plots. Thank you for the offer for the plow, but I have them already.
Best Regards,
Charlie

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.