Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Having trouble finding implement tires

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shale

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many pieces of my equipment (wagons, rakes, haybine, etc.) have older light truck tires on them. I think mostly 4 or 6 ply 15 inch ones. It seems most light trucks nowadays have 16, 17 and maybe even 18 inch tires and I am having a tough time finding used light truck tires that are 15 inch. Anyone else seeing this?

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, I have been hoarding 15" tires as I get my hands on them. Hard to find the truck tires for sure.
Kow Farmer

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my area the small size 15 like the 205 or 225 are easy to come by but if you want a 235 forget it. Watch Criag's list I see them from time to time there

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same here in Missouri. I just bought some at a local auction. There were lots of car tires but very few light truck tires. I was fortunate enough to wait and buy the LT tires. Mike

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going to need good 215-75R-15 Light truck tires for my truck. Do you ever find any of those? Any used tires are hard to find of any size.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a local usde car dealer who puts his takeoff tires by the back gate, free for the taking. Been checking his supply regularly. 15 inch tires are getting few and far between. We have a couple SUVs that have 15's, and have been jealously hanging on to the leftovers. Lots of my machinery has 15 inch tires, need replacements regularly.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Couple places in town most likely have them on hand used. I know I have one or 2 laying around but then I have a lot of tires around

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish I could either find some heavier 15s or 4 six bolt 16" wheels for my stock trailer. I blew one of those light tires today with a load on and tore the wires out for the electric brakes when the tread flapped around at 55 miles an hour.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup.

http://www.umequip.com/wheels/replacement/implement/

I hear Unverferth is making 6 hole implement rims for 17 inch tires, we'll have to convert to those some day.

--->Paul

AJB-830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I ran into this same problem last year when I wanted to replace some 15" tires on a gravity wagon. So I bought new rims and re-used the 16" tires from the F250 pick-up that I had put new ones on. Wheels were about $90 each which included mounting my old truck tires. But my tire dealer said this will only work for a few more years as most 3/4 ton trucks now come with 18" tires. Al

WGWKy2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Know what you mean. I am old enough to have come full circle, we cut spokes out of steel wheels anp put 16" wheels on then 15", in the 50s we bought wagons with 14" wheels, then back to 15", now 17" then you tell me we need to go with 18", I wish I still had the old steel tires,Dang Kids!

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just wish we were closer. A used tire and shipping would probably add up to what a new one would cost. And I have used all but 9 of those McCormick rake teeth and have place for them plus more and the others that you did not know what they were for are New Idea 3 bar rake teeth and I have that rake setting here just waiting for the weather so I can put them on.

Tony S.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Salvage yard. Look for an old van

Ron-MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a small utility trailer now that needs tires, and they are 14's. Just lucky I guess that I have a car with 14's that needs new tires, so my plan is to buy new for the car, then recycle two of the 4 for the trailer, and put the other two away out of the sun and weather for later. Not many cars with 14's these days, but this is a 98 model.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble finding implement tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You want hard to find tires try finding 13 inch ones now days. I have 2 cars that run 13s and those you never find used

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.