Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you put the hood on???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn Patrick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just got my '44 2N running again after it dropped a sleeve a while ago. One new sleeve and piston and a set of rings later it runs great! I have it all together, but I always have a problem getting the hood back on. It either hits the radiator or the steering wheel. I finally got it on with a lot of prying and pushing (and scratching the paint!). Is there an easier way, short of removing the steering wheel?
How do you do it?
Thanks,
Lynn

Curtsat15
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always get a 2nd person to help.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Removing the steering wheel makes it much easier. In
my experience the steering wheels of 9/2Ns are much
easier to remove than on 8Ns. Keyed vs splined
steering shafts. A second set of hands helps also.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 people are needed to do it easy. You then have to slide it back under the steering wheel and then slowly let it down and over the radiator BTDT many times. Oh by the way it helps if you hold your mouth just right also LOL

NOXJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have any help so I use my engine hoist and two straps. The hoist allows me to let it down real slowly and moving the straps allows me to change the pitch to get it under the steering wheel while holding the front over the rad cap. The engine hoist and straps make life a lot easier and permit the hood installation with a lot less damage.

AJ-in-BC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you remove the steering wheel, it is a trouble-free one-man job to remove/replace the bonnet.

Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've done it by myself twice with no hoist. It's a real PITA! A hoist or a helper would make it much easier.

I never took the steering wheel off, but it took a few tries to get the back end of the tin between the wheel and the top of the dashboard.

-Paul

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree it is much easier!

kly
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an original Ford service book for my 9n. it says in the book to remove the steering wheel.

Wheen I bought the 9n. It had an extension on the steering shaft that raised the steering wheel. The extension was factory made, but never would tighten up right. I left the extension off when i rebult the steering box in 99. last summer I decised to put the extension up on ebay. It sold for $55.00

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first time, I asked my girlfriend to help me.

The second time we were married so I was no longer allowed to ask for such things, so I did it myself ;-)

Both times I've scratched new paint jobs and said something like "oh fiddle sticks." Or something like that.

Some kind of hoist would be really nice for those of us (like me) who are too lazy to tag the steering wheel off.

Colin, MN

Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: How do you put the hood on??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a cheap Harbor Freight electric hoist mounted up on the roof joists of my shop, which makes it very easy to remove my 8N"s hood, and to lift my lawnmower and rototiller up onto the work bench.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.