Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

digital camera

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What kind of cameras do you use? I've gone through three Nikons in the last two years. Dust eventually gets into the lens mechanism and tears them up.

I'm thinking of a go-pro, but they are a little more coin than I am really looking to lay out.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Kodak easy share about two years ago. I know, it ain't no high dollar unit, but then I didn't want to put too much in one until I was familiar with digital cameras. It is 12 megapixel with 10x zoom. I have been amazed at the quality of the pictures it takes. Always wanted one of them there high dollar units with the telephoto lens about three feet long, but that's always been over my head.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Canon powershot A1100IS with image stabilizer. Its a 12.1 mega pixels and 4X zoom. I bought for my wife but she still likes the old 35 mm film camera. We had it for 2 years and I have taken about 500 pictures and the card in it holds over a 1000 pictures. The one thing I like about it is I don't have to pay for a whole roll of pictures I can have only the ones I want made into pictures.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quite frankly, the current crop of Nikons are an embarrassment to the brand. Nikon built its reputation on solid professional-grade camera that could take a lot of abuse. But now most of their products are consumer-grade cameras that are no better than their competition.

How much are you willing to spend? In the sub-500 dollar range, you won't find much in the way of cameras that will stand up to abuse. But I bought a Fujifilm X10 about a year that is the toughest camera I've seen in a long time. Price has come down to about 500 bucks. I'm so happy with this camera that I posted a recommendation here last month. You can read my post at the link below.

The thing I like about the X10 is it eliminates the lens motor. Zoom is manual and also serves as the on-off switch. That gets rid of the most troublesome part of pocket digital cameras.
Fujifilm X10 recommendation

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DB, I had an A1100IS, too, and it was a great camera. One day I dropped it and it contracted the dreaded Canon "lens error". It was just out of warranty. I thought about buying a replacement, only to find it's been discontinued. My wife's Canon also got the lens error after a few years. I'm done with Canon.

nys

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Kodak easyshare for a cheap knock around at work and play camera. One day last fall we were out in the canoe and accidently went swimming(a first) with the camera in my pocket. When we got home took out battery and memory card and let it dry out for a couple weeks and it still works! Needed a new battery but all the pictures were still on the memory card.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have older canon cameras, one from 2002 and one from 2004. I bought them used for about $30-40 each a few years ago. I have taken about 4000 pictures with the older one, I use it when I am selling things since the image it shoots is 1200x1600 pixels and I don't have to resize it to post online. The other one I have taken maybe 1000 pictures with, it is higher resolution and smaller and lighter and I carry it to take pictures of scenery or whatever. My mother has a Canon she bought new in 04 that had a problem recently where the blue light was not being processed and Canon fixed it free and shipped it both ways at their cost even though it was 8 years old.
Zach

mel n. head

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Panasonic

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello scotc,
There are phones with cameras that do an excellent job with still and video.
You wil lalso have it with you as well.
Multiple shots and quality (SIZE) settings
Guido.

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been a Canon man for over 30 years. I have been extremely happy with Canon SLR bodies and lenses. I shoot high school sports as a volunteer and have been using Canon digital for the past 12 years using their 1-series bodies. Granted they are a bit high end for the average camera buff but they are built like a tank. I typically put over 500,000 shots on them. My current body is a EOS-1DX. Virtually noise free at ISO 6400. Starts to get grainy at ISO 10,000 to 16,000.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The screen on my crummy Canon broke when I had it in my chest pocket while snowmobiling and it hit the brake master cylinder as I somersaulted over the handlebars.

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And that's the camera's fault??????

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a digital camera on the job, taking as many as 100-120 photos per day sometimes.

I"ve been using Samsungs for quite a few years. I have yet to wear one out.

I always carry a backup camera with me, identical to the one I"m using, "cause it would be the pits to be a hundred miles from home and have a camera fail. I"ve only had to use the backup once. When I"m doing an inspection, I carry the camera on a lanyard around my neck so both hands are free to hold, and write on, a clipboard.

I once tripped on an uneven carpet and banged the camera against a pool table. The camera shut down with the lens extended. I got out my backup camera and used it for the rest of the day. Back in my office, I retrieved the memory card out of the camera to get my pics, and noticed the lens was cockeyed. I pushed on it with my finger and it popped back into place and retracted. Worked fine again. In fact, I"m still using that same camera.

Dalex
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see some of you guys are still using Kodak Easyshare Cameras. How are you getting your pictures to email ? Since the site was locked last June , I can't get any pictures off the site . I use picasa now with a different camera , but the Kodak is a great camera , I hate to let it sit .

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: digital camera Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am on my second Sony Cybershot digital camera. Overall I think they take pretty nice photos and capture a lot of detail (Sample included at full pixels. You can stretch them to 8x10 for printing and they stay clear.). And I don't treat my cameras well at all... I carry it without any case on it, every day in my purse - floating around with keys and dust-bunnies (never know when you will find some cool old thing to photograph).

Like you, I'd kind of like to upgrade to be able to take even better photos - especially closeup shots. But you are right, they cost a pretty penny when you start getting into fancier cameras with detachable lenses and stuff.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.