Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Advice on buying a backhoe

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
david1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking for an older backhoe to use on the farm. Would appreciate any advice on what models are good and which ones to stay away from. Thanks

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should ask on the crawler forum but give as much info as possible including how much you're looking to spend. Case and Ford are generally pretty good but there are some others worth considering.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are lots of good old machines out there.Ford 3500/4500;JD 300:Case 580 are some of the most popular

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 3500 Ford that I paid $5,000 for and later put in a new hydraulic pump for a little over $900. Great farm machine and can accomplish a lot for its physical size and horsepower.

12251HD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Used BH's are often abused and need to be looked over closely--most are not operated by the owner. My brother operated heavy construction equipment and helped me greatly. In addition to the engine condition, watch for welds, leaky cylinders, and stickly/leaking valves. I bought a smaller used Kubota BH, (L-35) which provides great flexibility on the farm.

John730D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Who is your closest dealer? Ford, JD, Case? If you can't get dealer support and parts, none of them are any good.

LAA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case, John Deere, Cat, New Holland, Massey Ferguson, most all are good machines if they have been serviced and cared for just a little. Red flags ''minor leaks'' ''some slack in pins'' leaks are expensive and usually more extensive than they look, slop and slack in pins equals high hours, don't let anyone fool you, it takes a long time and a lot of operation to wear bucket pins much less stick and boom pins. If you are clearing land and digging stumps you will get three times as much work done in the same length of time with a trackhoe, many places a trackhoe will hold its value better as well. Two wheel drive rubber tire backhoes are for hard surface work, on the farm they are fair weather machines.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case are the easiest to find used parts for as there seems to be more of them parted out. Ford is the hardest to find parts for as there are not near as many ever made. JD and Cat will be the higher priced ones.

You did not mention your price range. That makes a world of difference. If your looking for some thing in the $5000 range you are going to have to get a real old Ford or Case to find anything that cheap. If you can spend $15,000 then you have a lot more choices.

Also it makes a difference how often you are going to use it. I started out with a three point mounted Kelly. I did not think we would use one much but I soon found out we used it quite a bit after we had one. So I sold the three point one and found an older JD 410. I have had it 15 years or so. It is has MFWD and a cab. It had 2500 hours on it when I bought it. At that time there was a bunch of them around used I was able to buy it for $17,500. Just a few years after that the building trades took off and it would have cost $30,000.

So the general economy makes the value of them go up and down as building demand cycles.

I remember reading thirty years ago how they where hard to find because the used ones where getting shipped over the Kuwait after the first Gulf War.

edward will
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

david1
I had a case 530 for 30 years. Worked it fairly steady. replaced bushings and fixed leaks as needed.
I replaced the reversing gear 2 times. Camshaft gear broke and had that big mess repaired at dealer. Sold it about 7 years ago or so and bought a Cat 416. Parts are a killer. eg. plastic door latch is $100. I miss my old Case. Ed Will

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The biggest problem with buying used backhoe is that if it was a construction used machine it is likely to be plain and simple wore out and abused. If you buy a 3 point type it is to light to do much.
That said you need to look one over real real good for loose pins and welds etc etc. Been around this stuff for years but then I also have sat on a good many of them also and spent many hours running them. A friend has a wore out Case 580B and another has a 580K both ok for farm stuff but both break down at times and guess who they call LOL

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 4500 Ford about 9 years ago for 6 grand, replaced all hoses since, and a couple pins and bushings, so have about 7 in it. I wanted gear drive, to stay away from torque converter machines. They're fine for fast, easy moves, but I don't need that- it's not a production machine. Used 3pt run over 3 grand here, don't like the idea of tying up a tractor, and they are light. Much prefer a TLB. 580 Case has an excellent rep, would be my choice if I wanted to spend more.

lenray
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD what year is your hoe???? I have a JD 410 1977 very low hours--just use for my own use.

THE QUESTION Could a 1977 410 JD have 4x4
Would I be able to convert mine to 4x4????

Thankyou

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 555A Ford. Parts are just a call down to the New Holland dealer. Machine starts without any help awesome in the cold. Mine has a cab and a torque converter. I really wanted a torque converter, just makes life so much easier. I paid $9000 for it and put a new set of back tires on shortly after I got it home, it's clean and it was a friend of mine's so I'm not ashamed at what I'm into it. Just make sure if you look at case that you like 3 stick controls, I hate them and am used to wobble sticks.

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you get that notion Old. A machine is how a man makes his living. I knew a few fellas that abused their equipment, but the don't last long in business. Anyone who worked for me ALWAYS greased the complete machine and checked all the fluid levels before starting to work it, or went down the road. Every machine of mine was kept in top mechanical shape always. Those machines were how We made our living.
Grease is always cheaper than pins and bushings and oil is always cheaper than a spun bearing!!

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on buying a backhoe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any of the major brands are good. Case 580, Deere 410-510, Cat or Ford. Don't buy one that just had a hyd pump replaced. Almost impossible to get the mess out of the system and will give you fits for a long time. Check all pins and bushings, boom, stick and bucket for cracks and leaky hyd cylinders.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters