Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reasonable price for electrical work?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What are folks paying for electrical work? I need to have a 220V 50A receptacle installed for my new stick welder. I got a price of $450 from a company we've used before. That includes 50ft of wire, 50A receptable, 50A breaker and labor.

Does that seem in the ballpark?

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess it would depend a lot on what they have to do to route the wiring, make the hookup, etc.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The electrician isn't making very much on that.

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the price of the materials and see what they are actually charging for labor,it's a job you could do yourself with a basic knowledge of electricity,but it may not be worth the hassle for the price he's charging for labor.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Breaker $50, Receptical, box, cover and hardware $50, 50 Ft #6-3 $250= $350. Labor at $100 per hour plus travel means you better live next door and he just has to staple the wire to open joists in a straight run!
Yes it sounds fair for a tradesman, even on the low order around here.

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just checked Home Depot website, Square D QO 50A breakers are $14.94, and they are about the most expensive common brand. Hard to check the other prices without knowing the situation. Seems high to me, but I have always been lucky enough to do all my own electrical work.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That seems very fair.

1/2 day labor @ $750 plus parts.

Nathan (SD)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it is in the ballpark of what electricians charge, but everyone has their own idea of reasonable.

Possibility? Put the outlet under the breaker box and buy a extension chord? I just bought two 20ft welder chords at Menards for $70 each.

Just wondering. If you are comfortable running a welder, what is stopping you from tackling your own electrical job? Just curious?

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input. The outlet will be located ~50 ft from the main breaker box. It's a fairly difficult run in the basement - limited access - very tight. It's going next to the basement door so that I can get the stick welder outside to weld - can't weld inside the basement. So about 50 ft of 8 gauge.

I have used these guys before and was satisifed with their work - most recently to install a whole house generator hookup with interlock switch - that I attach when needed to a portable 7KVA generator.

I haven't been getting multiple quotes on these small jobs and was just curious if I was being charged the going rate.

The good news is they can come back Thursday to do the work so I'll be welding this weekend. Smile

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am sure he could buy the materials and do the job himself for much less money. Most electrical companies buy from a supply house and sell at list esp. on small jobs.It costs money to have some one go and buy the materials. The prices I put down are just guesses based on what I have been charged on small commercial jobs. Wire price is what I was quoted for S/O cord to make an extension cord last week. I still think the job price is in the ball park for a contractor done job.

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Just wondering. If you are comfortable running a welder, what is stopping you from tackling your own electrical job? Just curious? "

Lazy... time... etc... I've done some basic wiring and mods throughout the years but not much with the heavy stuff.

I've been wanting to install an aux 220v line for years and we all see how far that has gotten.

This way - a phone call, some money and I'm shoot'n sparks a few days later. Smile

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am sure he could buy the materials and do the job himself for much less money. Most electrical companies buy from a supply house and sell at list esp. on small jobs.It costs money to have some one go and buy the materials. The prices I put down are just guesses based on what I have been charged on small commercial jobs. Wire price is what I was quoted for S/O cord to make an extension cord last week. I still think the job price is in the ball park for a contractor done job.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have worked with them before I would have no issues.

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think it is $100 or more in parts and then he gets $350 for labor. Well.....I think U are getting a deal. It will take him likely, 4 or so hours.
Try getting an electrician to do a small job like that for under $700 and you wont find one.

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasonable price for electrical work? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wile E wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:08:46 01/08/13) I would think it is $100 or more in parts and then he gets $350 for labor. Well.....I think U are getting a deal. It will take him likely, 4 or so hours.
Try getting an electrician to do a small job like that for under $700 and you wont find one.

Have you purchased any electrical wiring in the lsat year or so? The price has sky-rocketed. Probably close to tripling in price.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.