Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to find Top Dead Center

View previous topic :: View next topic  
denverslim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Trying to find Top Dead Center Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, we took the crank around about three times looking for a dimple to match up with the pointer on my 830 CK. It must have totally worn off.
Can I just listen for the rush of air on #1 Cylinder and then set the rotor toward the #1 plug wire for timing?...slim

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find Top Dead Center Reply to specific post Reply with quote

find the compression stroke by holding your thumb over the hole, stick a screwdriver in the plug hole and rotate the engine ,you will feel it when it hit's tdc, loosen dist. turn on the switch and rotate dist until #1 sparks, then fine tune when running

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find Top Dead Center Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well since you said plug then I know it is a gas engine. Take a plastic soda straw and have all the plugs out. Place the straw in #1 cylinder and slowly turn the engine by hand. You should be able to feel the straw coming up and the moment it starts to go back down you know your just past TDC. From there you have a 50/50 chance your on the compression stroke. If 180 out just swap the plug wires across the cap. Reason for the soda straw is it you get it stuck or other such thing it will burn out and not hurt the engine

denverslim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find Top Dead Center Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. So if I get the air form the cylinder it must be the compression stroke, right? Why only 50-50. Will the exhaust stroke feel the same?...slim

Paul A Young
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find Top Dead Center Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hash marks on the pulley could be full of paint. It would take quite a lot of rubbing on them for them to be gone. Just a suggestion.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find Top Dead Center Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reason I say 50/50 is because on both compression and exhaust stroke you can get some air coming out since on compression it is there to fire and on exhaust it is there to expel the exhaust and if turning it by hand you do not feel much on either. If you turn it over with the starter by the time you get your finger off the button it is long past TDC

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find Top Dead Center Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when you get it on top dead center you can pull the valve cover and see if both pushrods are loose on #1 cylinder if not turn it one more time and they should be loose that tells you you are on the right 50/50

FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find Top Dead Center Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my Series 830 Model 941. I foud top dead center usimng a small wooden dowel. I then got out some steel wool and scrubed the area under the timing pointer. After nnscrubbing pretty hard, the timimng marks did appear.
Good Luck !

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to find Top Dead Center Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you will get way more pressure on the comp. stroke as the ex valve is open on the ex. stroke

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.