Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hyd. relief valve 1655

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WFE2-70 NWIA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Hyd. relief valve 1655 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hyd. pressure on my 1655 is low, about 1600 psi. Went to the dealer and the mechanic said I needed to put in 4 shims, and he sent me to the parts dept. The parts man said it might not be adjustable, but I took 4 shims along. Outside of the valve doesn't look like the one in my service manual, it looks like the one on my 2-70. Took the valve out and it looks different than the picture in manual that shows where to put shims. If this is not adjustable what are my options to raise the pressure. Thanks for the help.

BradWi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hyd. relief valve 1655 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there were two different reliefs the older ones are less prone to giving problems in my experiences.i would call a salvage yard and get the old style

B A Star
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hyd. relief valve 1655 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you know you have a releif valve problem?  Did you have a flowrater on the system?   A Late 1650 & 1655 tractors had a pilot operated system relief valve.  Earlier had a plain poppet releif valve and apparently that is what the dealer thought you have.  The poppet valve would maintain pressure to its initial opening pressure. Inlet pressure is working against the spring + the pressure that is on the back side of the valve.  Once the pressure at the inlet hydraulics the valve off it's seat the oil flow holds the valve in a relief position and the result is a drop of approximately 200 pressure below opening pressure.

:  The pilot valve will maintain a working pressure the same as the opening pressure.  Your best bet is to purchase a new capsule.
   Here is how it works: When you took it apart there should have been a spring in the cap/plug.  The spring + fluid pressure holds the capsule against the inlet pressure.  At the same time pressure fluid is allowed to bleed into the area of the cap/plug to aid the spring in holding the capsule aginst the inlet pressure.  As you are holding the capsule it has a housing with a hex nut on one end.  The nut has a small hole drilled in it.  Inside the housing there is a valve that closes the drilling in the nut, valve is held against the drilling with a spring.  When pressure gets greater than the spring tension holding the small valve against the drillng in the nut, the valve opens and dumps the fluid pressure that was aiding the spring holding the capsule aginst the inlet pressure.  Capsule slides towards the outter nut to releive the excess pressure.
   Now if you want to take a chance: The hex nut has shims between the head and the capsule body.  Removing shims moves the nut closer to body incresing spring tension for the small valve, thus higher pressure is required to unseat it.  Look for any foreign material in the valve.  To test after installation some kind of adjustable restrictor between couplers with the valve ahead of the restrictor.  The factory setting for the valve was 2000 PSI.  Good Luck

WFE2-70 NWIA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hyd. relief valve 1655 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not have a flow meter, just a pressure gauge. Don't know how accurate the gauge is, but for comparison I just put a rebuilt hyd. pump on my 1755 and the gauge said 2000 psi. for it. I will see if I can find a parts diagram on the Agco parts site, to help me understand what you are describing. Thanks for the help.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.