Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ramp sight

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 30-30 Marlin for shooting wild hogs. It has a scope which I finally got around to removing. Whoever mounted the sight took the elevator out of the ramp sight and bent the rear plate flat. I have removed the scope, but now I see that there must be another part to support the rear sight, other than the elevator. This rear sight is completely split with nothing going across the gap for the elevator to support. Is there anybody on this site who is familiar with this open sight?
Butch

DH in Carolina
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this the sight? Check out Ebay item number 281049089796 for $20.00.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Consider mounting a peep sight on the rifle. Williams makes a variety of receiver-mounted rear sights, and Marbles makes a tang-mounted sight for lever guns that's pretty slick.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do the hogs wear jackets with acronyms on them?

ss55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Replacements for the missing/damaged parts cam probably be found on Ebay cheaper than ordering them at a gun shop.

For short range shooting mount a red dot type sight on it or mount a low power shotgun scope in the old scope rings?

david - or
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

X2 on the peep sight. A peep sight is much better than a notch, especially as we get older and our eyes struggle to focus on front and rear sights as well as the target. You can get a large aperture peep sight for those fast shots, and it works almost as well as a scope. Just look through it without thinking about it, and your eye will automatically center the front sight.

Since you have to fix the rear sight anyway, you might as well upgrade. For extra credit, get a fiber optic front sight for those shots in dim light.

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wiliams also makes fiberoptic sights, called "FIRESIGHTS." Probably a little expensive, but sure are nice for us older eyes.

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

go to gunpartscorp.com. You can look it up by brand and model.

woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, thanks, John and others for replies. After I posted I did look at Numrich website where I bought the elevator. It showed a fold-down leaf that sits on the elevator.
Butch

woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sorry, dog. I don't know what a acronym is, but this is Texas...we don't need jackets down here.
Butch

woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll look into that. I do have older eyes, for sure.
Butch

woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, DH. That's it excactly, and those are the two parts I have. There must be a fold-down leave that attaches to the top piece.
Butch

woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way, how did you get that top piece off the barrel?

woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, you've helped me fix that. I have another project that is pretty stubborn. I have a Crosman pump-up air rifle that shoots the .177 pellet or BB. The front sight is made with a saddle that sits on the barrel, but this one broke off. So I used JB weld to reattach it, and it broke again. If I can find a replacement part, what is the best way to make a new piece stay put? My grandson needs to learn how to sight a rifle.
Butch

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: ramp sight Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"top piece" slides into groove in barrel. May be very tightly fixed there. I've had to work very hard to get some of them off. Since it's an older item, it may be prcatically fused in, rust and metal to metal contact may practically weld it in place. If you're replacing the item, you may want to cut it crossways with a Dremmel and a thin cutting wheel.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.