Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

supper 90

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carsw
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: supper 90 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

how many hours to r&r cyl head
on 90 massey with perkins engine

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: supper 90 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't touch it unless there is a problem like a blown gasket or difficult starting.
Sam

hymie2lt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: supper 90 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Sam
This is an estimate of what it takes two of us to do a head gasket.
Usually takes about a half an hour to get the tins and fuel tank off, providing you have drained the fuel out beforehand. Should take about an hour to get the head off the block. Possibly half to 1 hour inspecting and cleaning the block.
I always take my head to a professional engine re-builder to check it out for any warps or breaks ETC. I can almost guarantee you will have to buy new valve guides, they will be worn out, if it has not been re-built lately. You will have to ask your re-builder how long they will need to do this. If they have the time, and the guides, should only take 1 day.
I figure about 2 hours to put the head back on, set the valve gap, and hook up all the parts to just prior to putting the tank back on.
About 20 minutes to bleed the injectors for the
15 to 20 minutes of running the engine for warming the head for re-tightening. another half hour to re-set the valve gaps.
About an hour or more for final assembly of tank and tins.
So in my estimation about 2.5 hours for disassembly.
Maybe a day to get head rebuilt.
And about 4 hours for re-assembly.
Of course this is without running into unexpected difficulty, and with two people who have done the job a few times before.
If you have not done the job before and have to follow the book, you could possibly count on nearly twice as long?
If you are doing the job because of a blown head gasket? It should be blown out between no 3 and 4 piston, through one of the water galleries. With luck it blew between the head and gasket, not block and gasket. It may be "firing" through the hole and wearing a gap in the head or block. The head is much easier to fix.
You will find it hard to get valve guides for the 300 perkins too, they are now obsolete. If you cannot find any get back to me. I may be able to get you some.
Wayne

carsw
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: supper 90 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pulled head found blown head gasket and piece broke out of sleeve replaced sleeve and piston with used one couldn't find new ,put new rings on cleaned it up put back together hard to find parts.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.