Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmducks1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

800 ford what is the cheapest and easiest alternator to buy and what model vehicle and year from? Would i use a gm one wire or the older one from 1965 chevys? or is there a better one?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most use GM, like a 10si, they're cheap and available everywhere.
One wire or the three wire, either will work.
I like the 3 wire ones with the exciter wire.
It doesn't have to spin as fast to get started charging.
I don't have to tell the guys at my parts store what vehicle,
but late 70's early 80's Chevy pickup would probably work.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You want an alternator for a 1980 Chev pick up truck. No power any thing No ac. If there is an O'Reilly's close by you can buy them for around $45 plus a $10 core and that is with a life time warranty. You will also need to 2 wire plug which is another $4 or so and a pack of Radio Shack diodes part #276-1661 silver line to the alternator side in the #1 wire on the plug

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just to let you know has to be later then the 1974 I think 75 was the first year but could be the 74 that had the internal regulator. I always say 1980 since I am 100% sure on that since I also drive a 1980 Chev no power any thing no AC

jmducks1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you wire a 1980 alt.? Some say to get a 2 wire plug
than take one of those wires and go back to the battery
terminal on the alt? Something like that? Or is that for the
1968 alt or so?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's the 3 wire alternator.
#2 pin wires to the battery terminal on the alternator.
#1 pin has the diode in it that Old mentioned coming from the ignition switch.
The diode keeps the alternator from feeding the ignition when you shut it off.
Without it, the tractor may keep running when you turn the key off.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off any alternator in the 60s and early 70s used an external V.R which you do not want. The ones on like I said a 1980 Chev pick up had the internal V.R which you do want. The 2 wire plug has markings of #1 and #2. The #2 goes to the bog stud on the alternator and what it is is the sensing wire for the VR which tells the alternator VR when to shut off. The #1 wire is how a person turns the excite circuit on. But you need the diode I told you about or the alternator can/will back feed the ignition so you can not shut the engine off

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford Hundred Series 12V Conversion

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

autozone 29$ if you have a core. or 10-15 more without.

forget the 4$ 2 wire plug.. spade terminals on wire work fine.

194 bulb or 1-3a diode is fine.

jmducks1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would this be easier with a one wire if I can get one for 36.oo? Can I use any of the wires that went to generator?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reason I say use the plug is that in the past I have had problems with the spade terminals getting bent and that in turn shorts out the alternator and lets the smoke out

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Problem with most 1 wire alternator is that it takes high RPM to make them start to charge and some love to cause a battery to drain if it sits for a long time

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you don't use the insulated female spade plugs? I do.. that's what they are for.. for sliding over male spades and then insulating them.

most GOOD wire terminal kits come witht he basic female spadesma nd the insulated female spades. I love em..

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Of course I also like the factory type plug since it ha the wires on them and that makes it easy to hook up as needed but the each there own

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 ford 12volt conversion what altenator to use. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'm just not into buying a few dollar plug when i can make it for 10 cents of parts. I'm frugal. Smile more money I save on useless 4$ parts.. the more tractors I can save up and buy. Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.