Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pics)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick HMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lets face it, those IH factory boxes are a PIA, not very user friendly, too confining, and in due time the bottoms will eventually rust out. Here's my solution.

A very simple fab job. I used 1/8"x1"x1" angle bar and a couple of 3/8"x9" machine bolts converted to 'T' bolts. The pictures tell the story.

If any of those pieces rust out in the future, they will be easily re-fabricated at minimal cost.

Flush mounted using 3/8"x 1" countersink screws to 2 already existing tapped holes.

The battery itself is a huge heavy duty truck battery with cranking amps to spare from Interstate batteries. Too big to fit in a factory stock "M" box anyway. So I had no choice but to do something rather than just let in sit there and bounce around.

I had been putting it off, but now that I'm ready to drop my belt pulley housing in I decided to take action while I still had all that wiggle room.

Not OEM I know, but that's the least of my worries.

Patrick
'49M

Last edited by Patrick HMD on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
PETE CORMIER

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GREAT JOB. I DID ALMOST THE SAME THING ON MY SUPER C.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really nice fabricating!

rankrank1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really like that design. Only thing I would change is to add either one (or maybe two) 1/8" x 1 flat straps welded in the middle with the welds ground flush of course. Doing this would support the middle of the plastic battery case which is currently only supported around the perimeter. Adding this would prevent the plastic battery case from sagging in the middle over time.

Regardless, That box looks very nice and looks so much better than the hack jobs that many people hang of the side of the frame rail. I simply can not stand those of the side of the frame rail hack jobs you see so many people cobble together on ole h's and m's. Also, I totally hate the bungy cord interweaving job people sometimes do as that looks like crapola as well.

Your solution is both elegant and very functional and should be quite durable being made out of 1/8" stock instead of sheetmetal. I expect your design could be copied quite a bit. It is a model template that could be easily made with the most basic of welding tools. Even some of those junky dirt cheap $59 welders could handle this project easily. I admire designs that are practical and this is one of them.

Last edited by rankrank1 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a very elegant solution. My old H had a platform made from
angle iron on the bottom but it was not nearly that nice, and I had a
strap with a kind of sliding buckle device that i had picked up at an
auction in a box lot that said it was for holding down batteries in a
boat.
Zach

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice, only problem is you still have exposed battery posts and cables.

AL Moyer in Pa.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good idea, gives me some ideas for fabricating something like this for my 53 Super H. I guess back then they had some not so bright engineers designing things too, you are right about those original PIA baterry boxes.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sflem849 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:08:21 01/11/13) Very nice, only problem is you still have exposed battery posts and cables.

It's actually better that way. You're more likely to notice corrosion and do something about it before you wake up on that cold morning with a foot of snow in the driveway, go to start the tractor, and *CLICK*.

Might not hurt to cover the hot post with something plastic or rubber, just so someone doesn't drop a wrench in there, though.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mkirsch wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:09:29 01/11/13)
sflem849 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:08:21 01/11/13) Very nice, only problem is you still have exposed battery posts and cables.

It's actually better that way. You're more likely to notice corrosion and do something about it before you wake up on that cold morning with a foot of snow in the driveway, go to start the tractor, and *CLICK*.

Might not hurt to cover the hot post with something plastic or rubber, just so someone doesn't drop a wrench in there, though.

Yes, better for maint but worse for fire risk.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually If you look at protype pictures of M tractors with electrical systems the batterys are mounted a lot like that. IH must of had some reason to use a box that cost more to use after that. I suspect it was for more than cosmetic reasons. Have no idea if engineers or management had the last word on the design.
Nice fab work.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did the same thing on my Super M.Did not get as
fancy as you did.Good Job!!

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would stack about 3 or 4 layers of cardboard cut from boxes in the bottom to reduce vibration.

Dave BN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What if your battery explodes, you are not protected. Unlikely
but that is the reason for the box.
Dave

Too Far Gone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FANCY,I just use a $1 tarp strap on working tractors,because the box has been gone for years,and the battery is just on top of the cast.

carlsandberg

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Those pesky (PIA) battery boxes. My solution. (More pic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great job and clean look!

Fun how some can ALWAYS find the bad in everything someone does, cant just say nice job and walk on.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.