Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

decipher model number help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Kruse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can someone help with deciphering this model number. I went to the website with the number locations and codes but I can't figure out what the A2 means in this model number.
C - 3000
A
1 - Diesel
3 - live pto
C - 8 spd

Also where can I find engine specs for this model 3000 ? I need to check the compression and check the timing as the injector pump has been removed.

Any help appreciated

sixbales
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It"s a Ford Model 3600. Production started in 1975 using CA1 model designation for the 3600. Ended in 1981 with a CA2 model designation. They switched over from CA1 to CA2 somewhere between "75 and "81.

Craig Kruse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sixbales wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:23:52 01/09/13) It"s a Ford Model 3600. Production started in 1975 using CA1 model designation for the 3600. Ended in 1981 with a CA2 model designation. They switched over from CA1 to CA2 somewhere between "75 and "81.

Sixbales, thanks for the response. Did they make a 3600 in 1968? The other codes I have for the engine and tranmission units seem to code out to late 1968 production. ENG-8M05B and trans 8L27B. These are off the hood tag.

sixbales
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford 3600's were made from 1975-1981. Below is a breakdown of your engine and trans numbers:

Engine - 8M05B
8 = 1978
M05 = December 5th
B = Day shift

Transmission - 8L27B
8 = 1978
L27 = November 27th
B = Day Shift

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sixbales wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:23:52 01/09/13) It"s a Ford Model 3600. Production started in 1975 using CA1 model designation for the 3600. Ended in 1981 with a CA2 model designation. They switched over from CA1 to CA2 somewhere between "75 and "81.

As far as I have been able to figure, they switched from CA1 to CA2 (and BA1 to BA2 for the 2600 and DA1 to DA2 for the 4600) somewhere near the end of 1976. I have seen BA1/CA1/DA1 models with date codes as late as September or October of 1976, and BA2/CA2/DA2 models as early as December of 1976, so the changeover was somewhere in the October-December 1976 time frame.

Craig Kruse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sixbales wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:29:40 01/09/13) Ford 3600's were made from 1975-1981. Below is a breakdown of your engine and trans numbers:

Engine - 8M05B
8 = 1978
M05 = December 5th
B = Day shift

Transmission - 8L27B
8 = 1978
L27 = November 27th
B = Day Shift

Okay, Thanks Sixbales. I guess that springfieldbiz website doesn't have all the correct information for decoding the numbers.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Springfield site only has model information for the 1965-1975 "thousand" series, 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 models and their variants, like the 4200 and 5200 row crops, and 3400 and 4400 Utility tractors, the 3500 and 4500 industrial models, the 2110 and 4110 LCG models, the 2120 and 4120 highway models, etc. I don't think that it can even properly identify the 3550 for you as it doesn't list "55" as a chassis type. It also doesn't give you "14" for the "Special Utility" chassis type of the 4000SU.

The engine, PTO and transmission information on there is valid for later tractors, but it is missing the "G" code for the 4x4 manual transmission, plus it doesn't have the codes for transmissions that were introduced after 1975 either.

The date code information applies to later tractors as well, but you need to adjust the decade accordingly once you know the real model number and can find out what range of years it was made.

Craig Kruse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:44:54 01/10/13) The Springfield site only has model information for the 1965-1975 "thousand" series, 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 models and their variants, like the 4200 and 5200 row crops, and 3400 and 4400 Utility tractors, the 3500 and 4500 industrial models, the 2110 and 4110 LCG models, the 2120 and 4120 highway models, etc. I don't think that it can even properly identify the 3550 for you as it doesn't list "55" as a chassis type. It also doesn't give you "14" for the "Special Utility" chassis type of the 4000SU.

The engine, PTO and transmission information on there is valid for later tractors, but it is missing the "G" code for the 4x4 manual transmission, plus it doesn't have the codes for transmissions that were introduced after 1975 either.

The date code information applies to later tractors as well, but you need to adjust the decade accordingly once you know the real model number and can find out what range of years it was made.

Sean, Well I live and learn. You guys are a wealth of information without which we newbies would surely suffer many costly mistakes. I thank you and I'm sure the rest of the comunity appreciates you and Sixbales and all the others who help us out on a regular basis.

It would be neat if someone took all this as well as the springbiz sites info and put it in one place or document so it could be referenced by all those looking for the accurate information. Just a thought. THANKS AGAIN TO YOU GUYS for the help.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Craig Kruse wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:23:59 01/10/13) It would be neat if someone took all this as well as the springbiz sites info and put it in one place or document so it could be referenced by all those looking for the accurate information. Just a thought. THANKS AGAIN TO YOU GUYS for the help.

It's funny you should say that. I am in the process of doing just that. I've finished my initial compilation of the information, and I have it in a word document with tables. I'm trying to decide what's the best final format as well as where to post it. I'm thinking a PDF file would be a good format, but I don't have my own web site to publish it on. I know that what I have is incomplete, and some of it may be inaccurate, as I got a lot of it from other folks, and I know some of what I got was definitely incorrect, and I have corrected those bits, but I would like to post it somewhere that I can get feedback and corrections from folks who may know some of the specifics about a particular model or series that may be missing or incorrect.

Any suggestions on what format to put it in and where to post it are welcome. I have been looking at the "free web site" sites, but I don't know much about them and would like any positive or negative feedback on them if any of you have tried them in the past.

Craig Kruse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:20:09 01/10/13)
Craig Kruse wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:23:59 01/10/13) It would be neat if someone took all this as well as the springbiz sites info and put it in one place or document so it could be referenced by all those looking for the accurate information. Just a thought. THANKS AGAIN TO YOU GUYS for the help.

It's funny you should say that. I am in the process of doing just that. I've finished my initial compilation of the information, and I have it in a word document with tables. I'm trying to decide what's the best final format as well as where to post it. I'm thinking a PDF file would be a good format, but I don't have my own web site to publish it on. I know that what I have is incomplete, and some of it may be inaccurate, as I got a lot of it from other folks, and I know some of what I got was definitely incorrect, and I have corrected those bits, but I would like to post it somewhere that I can get feedback and corrections from folks who may know some of the specifics about a particular model or series that may be missing or incorrect.

Any suggestions on what format to put it in and where to post it are welcome. I have been looking at the "free web site" sites, but I don't know much about them and would like any positive or negative feedback on them if any of you have tried them in the past.

Sean, That's great. I think a PDF file would be the way to go as not everyone has the same word processors and software but the adobe reader is free and anyone can get it to open the file. I don't know the best place to put the file. Maybe with our host in the research and Info section on the forum where it would be accessable by anyone. They already have one for production numbers and other information. I see it on the left side of my screen when reading the messages. When you decide let us all know so we can help send folks to that location or look for it ourselves when we need the info.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Craig,

Here's the thread where I posted my info.

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=980760

It's currently broken up into a separate jpg image file for each page of the PDF, as I already had a photobucket account, but photobucket doesn't allow you to share PDF files, only pictures. I'm going to look into the "free web site" sites and probably get a site of my own to post it on, and maybe have a comments/feedback section there.

Craig Kruse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean, nice job on the tractor data sheets. I did notice on the 65-75 data sheet there is no code breakdown for the Series and Type. Could you include the additional data so the example would be more clear/detailed.
Also have you considered including how to breakdown the unit codes for the components.

'65 to 3-'68...........4-'68 to 1975

2---------2000--------B
3---------3000--------C
4----------4000--------D
5----------5000--------E

Chassis Type

10 - Agricultural All Purpose
11 - L.C.G.
12 - Highway
13 - Rice
20 - Row Crop
30 - Vineyard
31 - Narrow
40 - Utility
50 - Industrial

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Craig,

I do list the series and chassis types in the table for the various 3 character model code prefixes.

The first entry in the 1965-1975 table is "B10 (210)", which is listed as the 2000 with the general purpose chassis. The first character of the model code B (2) is the series depending on the date of manufacture, with "2" from 1965-1968 and "B" from 1968-1975.And the "10" part of the code is the general purpose chassis.

The next entry is B11 (211) is listed as the 2000 with the Low Center of Gravity (LCG) chassis. B (2) is the series, and 11 is the LCG chassis.

Further down, the entry for the D20 (420) code is listed as the 4200 in the model column, and it also says "Row Crop" in the Chassis column.

According to the document that I was going from, not all chassis types were available in all series, and some were not available in all years. For instance, there never was a 2400 Utility or 2500 Industrial model within the 2000 series, and there never was a 3110 LCG chassis model within the 3000 series, and the Highway, Rice and SU chassis versions of the 4000 were only made from 1968-1975, etc. The models that I listed were all of the ones that were listed in the document that I was going from.

I originally put everything in one large table like the document that I was getting my information from had them in, and then later I broke it out into separate tables for different year ranges based on the years that the model number codes changed from one format to another. I guess I could add that info to page 2 if folks would like to see it there.

Craig Kruse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean, Okay I guess I missed it somehow and didn't relate it to the other files. I just saw the one file/jpg I was looking at for my 1968 3400 wasn't clear to me but I didn't look at the others for the 3 characters.
Anyway it's a great asset for anyone looking to figure out what those model codes mean. Thanks for your efforts.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: decipher model number help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I have added a column for the chassis types in the table on page 2.

I have created a web site on a free web hosting site, and have put the entire document up as a single document so it will make more sense.

Page 1 is the 1929-1964 tractors.

Page 2 describes the model number codes for the 1965-1975 tractors.

Page 3 is a table listing the specific models and details for the 1965-1975 tractors.

Page 4 describes the model number codes for the 1975 and newer tractors.

Pages 5 through 9 are tables containing all of the tractors models and their details for the 1975 and newer tractors.

Page 10 contains the "oddball" models that dont' have any model year info and that don't conform to any of the other model code formats.

my new web site is here:

http://nouveauredneck.mywebcommunity.org/

Sorry, it wouldn't let me post it as a link. It keeps displaying my entire reply post completely blank if I try to post the link. Sorry, you'll have to copy and paste the URL above.

Last edited by Sean in PA on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 am; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters