Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

w-6 hydraulics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnemoman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

was there an potion other than live hy, I have never seen one with a belly pump, or was there no hy until the w-400 with factory live hy

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the other option for hyd. on w6 was the charlyn hyd.pump which bolted up to the pto. the pump was right in the round canister which contained the oil. many of the old tractors had this set up.
the super w6 has the same hyd. pump as the 400 which ran off the cam gear.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The W6 never had a belly pump.

I don't know if the W6 changed over to the compatible bolt pattern at the distributor in 1950 like the M. If so, the IH pump will work on 1950-up, but won't bold up to 1949-down.

There's also the M&W pump, which will bolt up to the older distributor mount.

The Char-Lynn PTO pump "Pow'r Pak" unit is pretty neat. I bought one last summer off Craigslist. Still need a tractor to put it on.

Athol Carr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Australian built AW-6 and AOS-6 (early 1950s) had a belly pump, I think they had the rail front frame not the cast front. They had a cylinder for the 3 point linkage under the transmission cover between the bull gears and the hydraulic lines plumbed through the top cover

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So they didn't make a W-6 with any hyds until the Supers?

They were super advanced with the 9 series hyds. Live came out in 1950 with those!

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Engine driven hydraulic pump and hydraulic system was available for W-6 tractors before the Supers. Without looking I think it was 1950 when first offered.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D Slater wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:21:37 01/11/13) Engine driven hydraulic pump and hydraulic system was available for W-6 tractors before the Supers. Without looking I think it was 1950 when first offered.

Would make sense, that is when it started for the 9s.

JJ in NE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No the w6 never had a belly pump . Another alternative for live hydraulics is to run a pump off of the front of the engine through the hand crank hole in front casting .I purchased a w6 and a w9 with this set up . they both had F-10 Farmhand loaders on them. it takes a little effort but it can be done. Kind of spendy . they both used a love-joy coupler on the crankshaft using a longer pin through the crankshaft. After measuring the length of shaft needed they used a weld a hub center and welded it to the shaft. They then used a 1/2 inch plate cut to fit what ever pump they had. drilled holes to line up with the casting on front of tractor . Used longer bolts with double nuts to adjust depth and alignment of shaft and pump. This actually works well . The previous owner of the w9 told me the loader was on it since shortly after it was new . I checked the service meter (hourmeter) on this tractor and it had 11024 hours on it when he parked it.

minnemoman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you for the replys guys, couple of things to think a bout now Smile

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

heres some pis of the char-lynn unit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Untitled URL Link

Redturbo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Grandfather had a blade put on his Super W6 in the later 50's. It used char lynn setup, by the 70's it gave up the ghost. My Dad mounted a pump off the crank. This fall I redid the setup. This is a 1953 Super W6, no factory live hydraulics. This pump cost me $125 cdn, does around 12gpm.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Last edited by Redturbo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
minnemoman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

very cool thanks for the pics

minnemoman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

cool thanks for the pics

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: w-6 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Made a fast look for info on the hydraulic attachment. Didn't see the exact time they could be had for a W-6. But it was no later than early 1951. If installed on non diesel 6 series tractors below serial # 37137, other parts needed to be purchased other than the attachment. Camshaft gear, front engine cover and plate. Unless those parts had already been replaced for some reason. Bunch of extra parts were needed for a diesel.
Serial 37137 was made in 1950.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.