Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do I put in the hydraulic oil?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave314
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1962 Ford 2000 Industrial tractor and I'm replacing two of the hydraulic hoses and I have a couple of questions. Do I use ISO 46 Hydraulic Oil and where do I put it in at? The woman at Tractor Supply said I might use this oil or maybe transmission fluid so I want to make sure I put in the correct stuff. Thanks....

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're speaking of the integral tractor hydraulics, the fill plug is under the seat. ISO 46 is not correct. You need a UHF/UTF that meets or exceeds NH 134-D spec.

I your speaking of hydraulics that run off a crankshaft mounted front pump then the reservoir is likely in the loader frame. If this is the case, I'm not familiar with what the oil specs are for this.

Dave314
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could you please explain that in simple English? I don't know
what "integral tractor hydraulics" are or what "a crankshaft
mounted front pump" is either. I replaced the two hoses that go
to the controls of the two levers that make the front bucket go up
and down and tilt forward and back. There's a plug on the little
box that these two control levers are on so does the oil go in
there? Is the other oil you're talking about automatic transmission
fluid? Thanks....

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let me see if I can do better. Many industrial tractors are set up to run loaders and backhoes that are powered by means of an auxiliary pump. This pump is often attached to the front of the engine and is driven by the crankshaft. If this is the type of system you're inquiring about, then there will a reservoir other than that contained within the housing of the tractor, often part of the loader frame. I do not know specs on the oil for this type of system.

A normal ag tractor with a 3 point hitch will hold its hydraulic in the center housing. This is the cavity between the transmission and rear axle. This type of system requires a Tractor Fluid or Hydraulic Fluid that meets or exceeds the New Holland Spec M2C-134-D. It is not an ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

he told you in plain english.

at this point.. if you don't know what a crank shaft is.. or where it is onthe tractor.. might be time to sell it, and use the money to hire the work done :)

integral.. as in built in.. a part of.

many tractors have a built in hyd pump.. etc.

the hyds compartment on a 55-64 is under a bug plug under your left thigh on the hyds cover..

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

an owner's manual can help... gives you pictures to go along with the description, and capacities and specs. Manuals are available from this site.
2000 Ind. owners manual

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He could actually use ISO 46 in an isolated hydraulic compartment like that one where it's not acting as a gear lubricant... Again, I say could. If it was mine I'd still use TDH/134D for the sake of simplicity as the cost is about the same...

Rod

Robert Major
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This sure sounds like a townie that bought an acreage in the country to me. Then thinking this farming and machinery stuff is easy and good fun. Tractors, Backhoes and tools should need a training course and licence to purchase them in these cases. I wonder How many of these guys get hurt and push the farm accident stats and make genuine farmers/ trained equipment operators look bad because they had no clue.
Regards Robert

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

even so.. simply buying a few dollar manual to go with a few thousand dollar tractor seems like a good way to start.

these guy's that won't buy a manual amaze me...

KV Bruce
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be nice Mr 10-4

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

or you'll what?

whine?

cool.

besides..that was the nice answer..

you're still ahead at this point. good time to quit. Wink

Oaf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not cool. Not cool at all. Some of us enjoy learning and ask for help when we need it. There"s no reason to respond this way.

Dave314
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Fordfarmer. I ordered one and paid with Paypal which made it real easy.

I guess I'm like the guy on Green Acres except I'm not a rich lawyer and my wife isn't named Gabor.

Getting back to my original post, do I use hydraulic oil or some type of transmission fluid? I replaced both lines yesterday and would like to finish the job but I want to make sure I use the correct oil. Thanks....

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go with a UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) that meets New Holland (Ford) 134D specs. It will list what specs it meets on the bucket or jug. The hydraulic resevoir is separate from the transmission and rear end, but the seals between the compartments often leak, so it's best to use an oil that will work in the hydraulics AND the gear cases.

Dave314
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I put in the hydraulic oil? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought 5 gallons of the 134D at Walmart. I removed the plug under the seat and put about a gallon of it in there. I started the tractor and moved the two levers that control the bucket. One lever made the bucket go up when I moved it both forward and back. I couldn't get it to go down. The other lever didn't tilt it up and down like it's supposed to. It didn't do anything at all. Next I removed the two hoses and switched them because I thought maybe they were on backwards, but the same thing happened. One lever makes the bucket go up when it's moved in either direction and the other lever doesn't do anything. Any idea what the problem is now? I'm only interested in hearing from guys who can make positive comments. Thanks....

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.