Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

70 first startup and governor problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdman(MO)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: 70 first startup and governor problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well after 400 plus hours of work and a complete tear down and rebuild of the engine. The good news, good oil pressure, no knocks, usual problem of choke slightly out to stay running. The bad news, Governor is not working at all, and linkage still will not rig. Check usual problems such as binding, cotter keys binding etc. Checked that the gov. arm is installed in the divit on the shaft. I took the gov. assy out and checked for binding of the weights, bearing, nothing to account for this problem. help please. Russ

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 first startup and governor problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Russ, I'm pretty sure you have all the necessary books and stuff. Check it again, it has to be something simple (like me) that you missed (hopefully!) B O L.

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 first startup and governor problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Russ like the man says check the linkage all out again. I went through the same thing last winter after rebuilding my 60 engine and transmission. Had the throttle clearance adjusted properly at the carb and all but it would still rev up and down or no governor response at all. Turns out i had the rod installed upside down on the governor end of the throttle rod throwing everything off. I felt pretty stupid but it happens to the best of us!

greenmech
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 first startup and governor problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know from your past post that you checked the fork position,but is it possible something is out of place? Fork ,bearing ,or weights? Ron Mn.

Pete76NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 first startup and governor problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't always assume governor...when we restored our 70 it started and hunted and hunted, I went through the governor again, redid the linkeages countless times, buddy kept sayinng carb, but I had been through the carb thoroughly and didn't believe it. Finally he showed up one day with his carb, we put it on and it ran perfect. Off went the carb to Treadwell Carb for a pro rebuild. 1st and only carb that ever beat me! Since I have received some Roberts video assistance...and it still runs fine!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.