Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

was this a bad idea?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinecwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Using a hydraulic pump coupler for a generator. After less than 20 hours the rubber is starting to separate.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It better not, I put one of those on my bobcat pump and I don't plan on replacing it in twenty hours if I ever get it running again.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had that problem with the spider getting wrecked on a Grasshopper mower a few years back. There is an alignment issue. It isn't perfect, there isn't much room for error with them.

marloweg

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

get your self two chain sprockets and us a double roller chain to couple it that way if it is a little out of line it will not hurt anything. Massey Harris used it on tractor for years and it is cheep

Rollie NE PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a alignment issue. I believe there are different grades of rubber spiders also.

Redturbo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked into "lovejoy" couplers for a project. Max 1 degree is all it will tolerate. Guessing thats your issue.

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Love joy is one of the most forgiving coupling on the market. As others have said you have an alignment issue. You will not only wear out the coupling, you will do damage to the piece being driven. You need to re-engineer how you have both pieces mounted. Normally on a larger piece of equipment the motor is shimmed up, and shifted from side to side to get alignment.

JeffNWOH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have to assume that there is some sort of mount under the back end of that genny that we can't see. If not, I'd say that is your problem.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is sized right and properly aligned it should run a long time. We used many of them in the paper mill.

kevinecwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, there is one bolt in the back of the generator. It is hard to see in pic but I used a shim under the front mounting holes to get better alignment.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the Question to lovejoy direct.
lovejoy link

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definitely an alignment problem. Dodge para-flex are more forgiving for alignment. Lovejoys and Woods not so much

RusselAZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many RPM is that running? Spiders don't like over 1800. You can make them last longer by putting some silicone dielectric grease on them when they aren't aligned perfect. You will be better served with a coupler that looks like a bellows when assembled. Best would be a belt drive.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The coupling probably isn't rated for the RPM or the HP you have. There are other types of couplers that would work better. Belt drive is no good unless the generator is rated for side load on the shaft. Inline like you have is better.

kevinecwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: was this a bad idea? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. I'm not going to rule out the alignment issue but I really feal like I got it within tolerance. If I slowly pull the engine over I can not hear any noise (binding) coming from the coupler.
For time being I'm going to try a new spider as they are rather inexspensive and lube it with dielectric grease and see how long it lasts.
Thanks again to everyone who replied and posted links.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters