Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

manure on hay fields

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rick165
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you guys put manure on your hay fields during the winter.didnt know if it would be all gone come time to bale hay .
RICK

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe that it is against the law under the clean water act due to probability of run-off in the case of heavy rains. But in reality nobody is going to bother a small operation, while a large operation would be in trouble. When we had animals we always spread fairly early as in late April, and some in the fall. Makes a difference also weather or not the ground is tilled. So unless you get very little rain it will be in the ground by the time you cut.

WAYNE-N-TX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's best to spread it in the winter, it has time to get into the soil. It will not go away like commercial fertilize, take several years for it to be gone. Use about three tons per acre, that's what is needed here, and within three years your production will pick up and get better as you keep using it. It's a one time per year job not 30/40 days before cutting.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have to, a pass with a cultipacker in the spring will help break up the chunks, and put things down on the ground a bit better, so not picked up with the haying equipment.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here it is now against the law to apply between November till march when they think the ground will be frozen. The ones that are wanting to keep livestalk have to build manure storage facilities to hold all the winter manure untill time you should be doing the field work. It is because a lake here was having problems and they tried to place the blame on the laundry soap makers but when they found out the soap makers had too deep pockets they backed off and went after the farmer that dosen't have the deep pockets to fight them. EPA doing more dammage than good again. Not farming any more and just 20 mile outside the watershed that so far has been included but the farmers that are planing on keeping livestalk are building those sheds for when it is expanded to here.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spreading in the winter, besides the run off issue, you loose most of the nitrogen from laying out so long before getting in the soil.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd haul on them all year when I had that V-Max spreader,but the box spreader tends to hurl too many lumps that don't break down all that well.

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in MN, I like to haul it out in late fall, just before the snow comes. It is always way to wet to haul manure on hay fields in the spring. Just rut them up. I always walk my fields with a pitchfork when done and scatter any clumps the spreader left, and by spring the fields are perfectly level and ready to grow with the warm weather.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any time I do manure I try to get it done as early in the winter as I can. That way the weather breaks it up and soaks it in so it can do what it is there for and be ready for spring cutting

EJ70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do. Its broke up before cutting time.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I spread about six tons per acre, on hay in the fall and corn ground in the spring.

rick165
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: manure on hay fields Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for your replys,i am just a small operation and been putting it down for a month or so when the ground is fit
RICK

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.