Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

in your sixties?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you might be, if:
you straddled a drainage ditch with your car to work underneath it.
the bottom plate for the bumper jack was left in the mud from the last time you used it.
using a bumper jack and the bumper moves several inches before it lifts the frame.
lifting the frame and suspension is still to low to change tire.
car jacked up, starts to roll and you grab the top of the bumper jack to stop it and pinches hand.
the emergency kit in trunk was; 3 quarts of oil, 2 spare tires with the cords showing, a scrap piece of lumber for the bumper jack plate and an empty coal oil can.
if you ran out of gas in-route and walked to the filling station with the coal oil can.
didn't have your own can, the filling station attendant would loan you an empty can, usually a metal anti-freeze can with a punch can opener hole in it.
his last statement to you, be sure and return the can, please.
the kitchen sink had an outside style faucet on it
and it was cold water only.
later on it had a soap dish attached to it between the faucets and it held lava soap.
you had a swing out towel rack mounted on the wall near the sink. it usually had 3 racks.
1 for hands, 1 for dishes and 1 for whatever else needed swiping.
mom hollering out; who wiped their greasy hands on my towels?
the cabinet underneath the sink had a curtain over the opening and it held all kinds of posions.
the sink had a rubber stopper with a chain attached to it.
the sink typically just drained to the outside on top of ground.
this is where you dug for your fishing worms.
the bed springs required slats and sometimes they would bounce out.
oh, the inhumanity of that.
people really did use old bed springs for tv antennas.
use a car differential on tv antenna pole to change direction of antenna.
if you were real ingenuous, the drive shaft extended inside so you could fine tune for yourself.
entering the back door without mom knowing and she hollers out; wipe your feet or don't slam the door.
the only thing you washed at night was your feet.
sliced bread came in a cellophane wrapper with a useless sticky tab to reseal.
in your 50's? the twisty ties with the expiration
date printed on them.
grass control, if any, a push reel mower.
weed control, a sling blade.
brush control, a bush hook.
saturdays as followed:
tv; westerns first, cartoons second then outside to play for awhile.
afternoon movie theater-serial, previews, cartoon and then the movie.
end of afternoon movie they would make you leave the theater.
after movie it was to the five and ten store.
not to belittle some, but that stood for five cents and ten cents.
every thing from clothes, hardware, toys and home of the cheap perfume.
stop by lunch counter only to smell and lust; no money.
walk home to hamburgers cooked in an iron skillet and an rc cola.
speaking of cartoons; remember these?
little lulu, baby huey, woody woodpecker, heckle and jeckle, speedy gonzales.

in-too-deep
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mmmmm RC

WGWKy2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, you bout covered it, cept the cardboard windows with peep holes on the car.

RN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And perhaps the toilet was outside a couple hundred feet from kitchen door in a little shed?? And bath tub was hung on wall until saturday night when it was set on floor close to wood stove that heated water so you could get scrubbed for church next day? The horse mower and rake still had long tongues-and the 2 old draft horses were still used on them? And the first bought tractor had hand crank only, no lights, and hand levers for equipment? The "new" tractor had electric start and a light, hydraulic lift for the cultivator- all the "options" at the time? RN.

Tinker In TN

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What about the newsreels shown at the theaters?

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still have the soap dish you mentioned, hung between the two faucets on the entryway sink. The old one that was on there since I was a kid rusted out and a new one was nowhere to be found anymore. One day about ten years ago I walked into the old hardware store in Cordell OK when I was on the harvest and found one. He had two of them and didn't know what to charge cause they had been there so long. He finally asked if I'd pay two bucks for the one I bought. I've been kicking myself ever since then for not buying both of them. Jim

Dave Sherburne NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here you go
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/queen opens new victoria line/query/queen tube

1970-1655
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember mom's uncle had a hole in the wall about the size of his fist. When he wanted to turn the TV antenna, he would reach out the hole and rotate it. This is in Indiana, summer or winter. The restroom/reading room where I grew up was outdoors until 1964. My daughter still lives in a place that has that convenience.

theoldtexasfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a bucket on the back porch wher mom poured dish water and vegetable peelings and you were constantly being told to empty it across the fence.....Hot water was a kettle on the stove.....Weak water well so bath was a kettle of hot water and 5 gallons of cold water and reused by father and then used to flush toilet.....bathroom put in by father before he married a city gal....kitchen sink and hot water heater came later......all heaters turned off at night.....going to church in thin suit pants and feeling the cold from plastic seat covers......cars without heaters(optional in Texas).....having only two pair of jeans and always to short.....How did we live like that?

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Life was so simple back then. People worked harder but I truly believe they were happier.

theoldtexasfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

More......Gras control in yard was the milk cow and her calf.....father milking cow twice a day,mother pasturizing milk with a modern electric pasturizer,mother making cottage cheese and butter,making ice cream in deep freezer out in an outside barn and running out to stir it....washing clothes in a wringer washer on the back porch.....watching uncle knock a calf in the head then cutting its throat,then father and uncle pulling it up on a block and tackle,skinning it and butchering it ,then freezeing it in their Sears Coldspot freezers.Liver and brains werent frozen but were for supper on butchering day.......salting the hide to sell at the hide house.....My wife says I should write these memories down as the kids dont believe me.......I still have and use my fathers and uncles tractor,1949 farmall super A,along with an assortment of mule drawn implements.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also the gas pump dials turned faster for gallons than price. Didn't know enough about politics to get upset. Lots of trips you carried something to eat or drink, no fast food at most exits or wide spots in the road. Started growing up with no interstate highway around.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i was raised on the edge of the city but in the fifties there was rural ways. when i was about 12 i had walked up the street to a friends house where his dad cut hair on the back porch for 25 cents. walking back home there was a group of men around an old shed with a calf tied to it. i walked up just in time to see a man draw back with a sledge hammer and hit it right between the eyes. the calf just sorta blinked and looked at him. he drew back and hit the calf again and this time the calf just crumbled down dead. man i left scared to death and never told anyone about for a long time.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot one. Walking down the highway three miles or riding bike to my aunt and uncle's store, stopping along the way to pick up pop bottles and aluminum beer cans to turn in for a nickle or dime,usually found enough to buy two bottles of pop at a dime apiece.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: in your sixties? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That should be RC cocacola and a moon pie.

My mother cleaned everything with Borax.
Took many baths with Lava soap. Skin was always red.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.