Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey y'all!!

So, Its done!! Finally done, wrapped up, on the truck and ready to go.

And I'm extremely pleased with how everything turned out.

As you know, I never made up a plan or anything, just went for it pretty much. It was a ton of work.

What were my goals:

1) They have to look awesome.
2) They have to be sturdier than the stock bumpers.
3) They MUST have pulling-points on them.
4) The Front bumper MUST be much higher off the ground than the OEM one.

They needed to be strong too, of course... I wanted to build them so they could handle more pulling than the truck could put out, just for the peace of mind.

I put some 10" plate gussets on the back bumper, which ran from the frame mounts, to the face of the bumper, to prevent it from bending if I pulled or shock loaded against something.

And I knew I'd have to get creative on the front bumper. Worst case scenario was it "bowed" if I pulled too hard. So, I made some plate gussets for it, too, and I ran a pipe right behind the face to keep the mounts spread to where they needed to be. I even used 3/8" plate for the "D" ring mounts, and held that down with 6 passes of 7018. Which I'm sure will come in handy next spring when I use these to pull the lawnmower out of the mud, haha...

Anyway, just thought I'd take a moment to share the last two videos, and some pictures of course. I really hope y'all enjoy these, as much as I enjoyed making them. It was a lot of hours, 59 to be exact, but I feel it was worth it Smile

video1 video2

Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oops, missed a picture... And put another one in twice... My bad:

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like the back. The front, eh...

I think it would look better with a hoop in front of the grill, then two more shorter ones around the headlights. But that"s me. It just looks like something is missing.

USAonly

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good Lanse--I think those hoops on the front are heavy enough for the FORDS to hook on to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hope you cleaned up all the spatter even if it is on the inside. The front bumper looks a little out of place, like it was pieced together because there wasn't enough material to make it the same. The rear bumper follows the contour of the truck better and doesn't stick out as far. I don't really understand the tie down loops? I think tow hooks underneath would look cleaner and easier to hook to. How do you hook a proper tow strap to a closed loop? With a tow hook you can hook a tow strap, chain or whatever you want on it.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I wanted to attach a tow strap to a D-ring, I'd use one of these.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess if you always carried a shackle would work.

Loosehandle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think it looks like something from the Cars movie....

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The back bumper doesn't have the curve of the grill behind it either....

I think the grill guard would distract us from that.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lookin" goood, Lanse!

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish I had a nickel for every shackle pin I've spun! Laughing

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was thinking from Mad Max. Bill

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cool, I like it.

I had one of those big Ranch Hand front bumpers on a pu. Housed a winch. Looked great and worked perfect. BUT real hard on the front end. Premature wear and expensive repairs due to all the extra weight.

Ron in NS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just have to remove spatter and paint......

Bill in IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrapped up the Silverado Bumper Build (Pics + Videos) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really like the rear one. Front looks sturdy but a little boxy in my opinion. Just means that now you need a brush guard.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.