Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headlight wiring clips got me stumped

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Beautiful day here in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia so...
I wanted to get my headlights working on my "48 8N. I got "em working and need to hide wiring but I can"t figure out the little clips that hold the wiring up under the hood. Do they go on the hood somewhere or the support brackets for the gas tank? Also, I need to know the placement of the clips across to the rightside headlight.
Thanks.

Colin King
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob;

What's worked for me is to run the right side between the grill and the radiator to the left side. Leave yourself a little slack for ease of working. I run both a positive and a negative.

The clip on my '47 was attached by drilling a hole in the dog-leg just below where it goes into the hood. It's kind of noticeable.

If I were putting clips in myself, I would drill two in the lip of the hood and mount the clips there. This would hide all of the hardware. You could also do this and use zip ties if you didn't have the clips. This way, everything would be nicely hidden from view, but still accessible.

Colin, MN

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The lights were a dealer or owner installed option, so I don't think there's
any right or wrong place to put those clips other than being functional.
I clipped mine up under the hood just close enough together to keep the wire
from sagging.
I used stick on Velcro pads on the under side of the hood, and fastened the
cross wire to it with the other half of the Velcro.
I know its not what they dealer would have done, but its out of the way, removable and secure.

Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went and got the seven little clips that the dealer would've used and I have no idea how to get them to work.
I'm about to use some wire ties or something to fasten the wires out of the way; but, I'd rather have the clips in there since I got them.
The MPC or the FO4 manual neither touch this subject and there is nothing on this site about it either. At least that I could find.
Thanks for answering.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob Purinton wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:24:38 01/13/13) I went and got the seven little clips that the dealer would've used and I have no idea how to get them to work.
I'm about to use some wire ties or something to fasten the wires out of the way; but, I'd rather have the clips in there since I got them.
The MPC or the FO4 manual neither touch this subject and there is nothing on this site about it either. At least that I could find.
Thanks for answering.

They clip to the underside of the hood are the hood frame... It should be obvious the clip clips over sum'n...

Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless I missed some subtle hint as to what might have been a very eloquent answer to my question; I must wonder if Hobo's prescription meds have run out or his family tree doesn't fork.

How do the clips that hold the headlight wire attach to the hood or where ever they attach?
These clips are p/n 358297-S on page 160 of the MPC. On this site they are p/n 358297S7.
Thanks

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trying to help, but didn't have a picture, so here's what I got.
Picture from this site.
Clips goes over the edge of the hood where the black line is.
Wire goes through where the red line is.
Curved end of the clip up and toward the outside of the hood.
At least that's how I put mine on, right or wrong.
I get frustrated with mine some times too, but Hobo isn't the cause.

Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's better than anything I came up with. The closest I came to this was putting the wire all the way in the bend and then pushing onto the lip of the hood. Needless to say; it didn't work.

Thanks for an intelligent response. Smile

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob Purinton wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:25:47 01/13/13) That's better than anything I came up with. The closest I came to this was putting the wire all the way in the bend and then pushing onto the lip of the hood. Needless to say; it didn't work.

Thanks for an intelligent response. Smile

obvious now ain't it... I recon its installer choice as to clip over the hood are move up a few inches and clip on the hood frame/channel... Theirs 2 more clips toward the back used to support the main wiring harness...

Those clips you picked up are standard hardware used to clip trailer wire'n to a trailer frame... They can be had in different shapes even like the ones you picked up,,, They are not pacific to a N....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_101554_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=101554&cid=sc_googlepla&gclid=CJ2kz8rh5bQCFedxOgodjHUAJA

http://www.etrailer.com/question-11131.html

carolina don
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob.....on the 48 and early 49 8n models, four of the clips are attached to the lower panel of the front gas tank support.The wire ran from one light to the other by going OVER the upper radiator water connection with a clip connected on each side of the water connection and a clip at each extreme end of the gas tank support panel.The other three were evenly spaced from front to rear and connected to the bottom of the hood reinforcement on the right hand side of the hood.Things changed a little in late 49, but you say you have a 48.Hope this helps. don b

Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring clips got me stumped Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, thanks, I appreciate it.
I didn"t know they were a "buy them anywhere any shape any size" type thing.
I"m not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes or I wouldn"t need the forums, now, would I?
Thanks again.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.