Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D17 swap to WC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
black

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: D17 swap to WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi guys, any chance I can install a D17 engine into my old 1939 wc styled ?--- Thanx

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 swap to WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I have seen talked about here on the forum it can be dome in a WD or WD45 so should be doable in a WC. Not sure what all you have to do to make it work just know it should be something that can be done

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 swap to WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a late (full flow oil filter) D17 engine in our 45 yr WC. Seems like you need to use your old water pump and crank pulley. They are like 350 chevys, all the same only diffrent.

black

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 swap to WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Old , I'm just doing a little research, because there may be a D17 available that burnt and the engine turns over , so it should be good. I own a WD45 and a WC that I just installed a WD engine in , But a D17 engine would really make her pull.

ttractorman101
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 swap to WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put a d-17 engine in my 1937 unstyled wc. I even cranked it over by hand! I used the wc waterpump, the wc governor and distributer, and the wc bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, etc. I also used the wc crank pulley on the front. I may still even have pictures of it. Did it over 10 years ago. It made for one strong running wc! E gleaner combine engines work in wc's as well. I did that too!

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 swap to WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D17 is basically a Gleaner E combine engine....you could bolt it in all the way back to an RC, plus all the W's

black

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: D17 swap to WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys , I'll just have to bolt a fake plate on the block LIKE THE wd-wc engine to fool the competition HA HA

ttractorman101
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 swap to WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can't put the plate on the side of the engine. The d-17/e gleaner has the fuel pump or the fuel pump blank. You will have to grind down a lot of the block just get half way close. I thought about doing that too, but you will find that will not work. Honestly, even if you do get it done, an allis expert can still tell the differance. The oil pressure and lines from the oil filter are different sizes and pressures. The biggest giveaway though it the head and valve cover. The d-17/e gleaner's head and valve cover is a lot bigger. I tried the wc valve cover on the d-17 and it did not work at all.

black

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 swap to WC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the old 1939 wc valve cover fitting on the 1950 wd head -- it wouldn't fit so I used the wd valve cover -- sure fooled me because they both look identicle

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.