Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daily Driver...Used Tires

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am fortunate to live in a rural area. Years ago I bought a
basic manual tire changer and a good bubble balancer. Year
after year I drive on others'cast-off tires. I was just adding
the numbers on my daily driver yesterday....126,000 miles
on free tires, with very little trouble. Anyone else do this?

Glenn

Tom in TN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glenn,

I've used used tires for years but I buy mine at a local junk yard (I've also picked up some at yard sales). They aren't free, but they're a whole lot less expensive than new.

I used to live near a guy who did re-caps. I used them also.

I've never had any special trouble with them.

Tom in TN

JF in CT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was younger I used to use cast off Maypops all the time. Learned why people used to throw out almost new looking Firestone 500 radials that way. Usually buy new stuff online these days.

Jim Clayton

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used other peoples throw away tires on my #14000 equipment trailer for many years. 16 inch 10 plys are very common around here. A new set for this trailer would me close to $ 700 . With my tire machine I feel I'm ahead of the game 10X over.

Dalex
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All my tractors have second hand tires , and my trucks too , depending on availability . I had to buy new Coopers for my Dodge last time ,couldn't find a decent set of used ones.

Brian G. NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I, too have a bubble balancer as well as a bead breaker and tire tools.
I have never bought new tires for my '93 Dodge D-150 in the 10 years I've owned it. I usually find them at garage sales. The last ones I bought I paid $20 for four. 'course one was all worn out but the rest were real good. When I see 235/70 or 75 X 15 tires cheap, I buy them and I never seem to run out.
Never do that with my Wife's Subaru with the aluminum wheels tho! LOL

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the same set up. I use exclusively used tires on my little mazda, and dodge pickups, and all 4 trailers I use regularly. Our dump has a 4 used tire a day limit, for residents to bring in old tires. Many's the time I brought in my 4 and took out 8 others!

I may not get the first mile out of a tire, but I d amn sure get the last mile out of 'em!

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Boy, you got that right. I remember when I was a kid (53 yrs old) were lucky to get 25,000 miles on a new set of (bias ply) tires. I drive very easy, and it's a rare tire (free cast off) I don't get at least 20,000 miles out of it. Like you, when I'm done with 'em there only good for starting fires.

Glenn F.

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"they're" only good...

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Dad had a late 60's-early 70's F100. He used to buy recaps from the Monkey Wards catalog store in town. I think they were $7.00 each. I don;t think he ever got 2500 miles out of a set, but that was because the front end was way out of alignment.

hermit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

South central Texas, you are more likely to find hens teeth than 15" second hand tires. You just can't find them. I don't know about other sizes.

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hermit wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:14:50 01/15/13) South central Texas, you are more likely to find hens teeth than 15" second hand tires. You just can't find them. I don't know about other sizes.

Likewise with 14" tires on a seldom used implement. Kind of looks like I should buy a pair of 16" rims.

Slowpoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, but they're not free.
Flea markets and garage sales get $15-25 each. Used dealers are up to $45 each. Still a good deal.

Anyone have a Bada Precision bubble balancer instruction book?

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup but again I usually pay a few bucks.

rodgernbama
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driver...Used Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got one utility trailer that uses 14's and a tandem axle trailer that uses 15's. You can find them new but you are right about finding them used.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.