Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

elec ign for 310 waukesha

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobidan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dist# is 1112587 delco anybody got a part number or good place to get one thanks

Cody

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get you a new set of points and an MSD 6A box off craigslist.

Gary Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cody, i disagree with you. Petronix work great with MSD boxes. The MSD only requires a trigger and has no load on Petronix, so they will work forever. Points on the other hand corrode and are not consistant. Why do you think all newer gasoline vehicles use electronic ignitions? Much more consistant and way more reliable.

Cody

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is alot of difference in a distibutor with a factory magnetic pickup then the cheap pertronix junk. The points will not corrode since they are only carring a low voltage to trigger the MSD box. If one must have an electronic ignition I would reccomend fitting a 292 chevy distributor in the waukesha block. Even if a set of points do happen to corrode up at the track it is possible to scuff them off and save the day. Hard to fix a P.O.S. pertronix rotor when it burns a hole out the side. I'm just speaking from my experences.... to each their own.

Gary Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cody, ive installed hundreds and never had one issue. You must have been using them direct to a coil and using the wrong coil. This will burn them out and so will hooking up reverse polarity. Like we both agree on MSD has no load to petronix, so why are you burning them up?

mm fan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These guys have great service and good pricing. just call them with your distributor number and they will match it up. I have have several pertronix ignitors and not had any go bad, I have seen one on another tractor go bad at a pull. THey seem reliable to me, just make sure and hook them up properly.
cbs performance

bobidan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i talked to them yesterday and got one coming thanks for the replies

MLPANKEY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A hei adapted to any tractor engine is eons ahead of a petronix point conversion hall effect system .jmho

Cody

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I must have gotten a bad batch? LOL. I'm not sure what the problem was on them, but since we swapped back to points I've had no more problems. Another thing that gets me about the pertronix is having to hunt thru distributors to find one that the shaft is good enough so the little collar doesn't move around. Most of these things are 50yrs old and that isn't an easy thing to find. Either way, everyone has their preferences.

LCB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: elec ign for 310 waukesha Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Elec ign only way to go.A lot of poeple around here putting them in show tractors and tractors that they are useing around farm.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.