Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: which 12 guage?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CumminsMan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking at either Mossberg 500, or Remington 870 12guage. Heard good things about both, which would you choose?

TriTownTB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'd go with the 870 any day. i've had mine 19 years now and its never failed me at any time in any conditions. had many many successful hunts with it.

Gregorius
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have both, the 870 is probably better built, but the mossberg is a little smoother and has a few plastic parts. Which to buy depends on the price, I paid less than $200 each for mine used. It's hard to wear either one out unless you shoot competition.
Greg

bob15
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Honestly, neither....I would go buy an Ithaca 37, but because isn't a choice, I would go with Mossberg. I've heard Remington quality has slipped some, but i own neither, so I cannot say one way or another.

bob

55deere70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both are good reliable pumps. With some people it comes down to the safety. Some like a tang safety-Mossberg and some like the crossbolt on the trigger guard-Remington.

Rustyone
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can't have a benelli then go with the 870. one in the family for 20 years and never had a problem with it. The 500 never was much of a gun in my book!

old popper
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is your preference. My nephew gives me a hard time about using a "cheap azz" Mossberg. But the bottom line is, my Mossberg 500 will kill a deer just as dead as his Remington 870. Love that 500. BTW, mine is a 20 ga.

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remington hands down.. Mossbergs just feel cheap to me lots of play... Their safety is nice...

55deere70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rustyone wrote:
The 500 never was much of a gun in my book!

please explain...I have owned a 500 and I have an 870. I don't understand why you would say the 500 was never much of a gun. The one I had worked just as good as my 870. Gave it to my brother, he's still using it.

Ivan in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go with the 870. I have had mine since 1967 and it has never givin me and trouble

Clayt in OH
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definitly check out the model 37 Ithaca. They are now made by a relativly new company in Ohio. They are precicely machined, have a very smooth action,and are bottom eject.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the military uses the 500.

I think either would be a good choice.

They go click, clack, boom, end of story.

Jim in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Happy owner of a Mossberg 500 12 ga since 1986. It came with a mod choke barrel and I bought a slug barrel for it also. It has dropped many geese, pheasants, and deer. I don't hunt much anymore but my son has been using it for turkey and deer hunting for the last two years. It's been very dependable.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have to ask what you going to do with it??? For hunting the 870 but if for home defense the 500. I think from what I have seen there are more optional add on stuff for the Mossberg and plus cheaper. Both are good all around shotguns. Also I think the Mossberg would be cheaper up front

dpendzic
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: which 12 guage? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought my first 500 in 1970 and in use since. Dropped it overboard many times when duck hunting and has always worked perfect. My grandson uses it now since I bought a new one 5 years ago that had the 18 inch barrel and pistol grip add on.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.