Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT what got my chicken?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Something came during the day and got over a 5ft high fence, took a full grown hen and back over the fence with a trail of feathers heading towards the brush - just cant imagine what could do that.

Bloody cold here - main line to septic tank appears to be blocked up - not sure if it is frozen up or coagulated grease - snaked it out but could not reach all the way to the septic tank - so something blocking up about 4 ft from tank or at point pipe enters tank.....or leach field frozen up? Man I hate cold weather.

Lee

Lance in Brenham TX

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a coon.

Jimbo's 8n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I witnessed a hawk do that to one of my chickens. I"ve also had problems with foxes and coyotes.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amen on Hate the Cold Weather....As my Dad always says at our first cool snap and all through winter-"I"m ready for April".--but who knows? Might still snow in April...

Del Huebner
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In broad daylight and over a 5 ft. fence sounds like a coyote. Could be a hawk but they usually consume part of the kill at the spot and pull a lot of the feathers out before carrying it off and would probably not leave a trail of feathers.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i've seen coons and possum gut them.. eatthe head and organs and leave a kill...

i've seen hawk partially eatt hem on the spot too...

time for a game camera Smile

Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

soundguy wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:46:35 01/15/13) i've seen coons and possum gut them.. eatthe head and organs and leave a kill...

i've seen hawk partially eatt hem on the spot too...

time for a game camera Smile

Funny you should say that - I am off to walmart today to pick up one I ordered - what ever it is is very crafty as I have not seen a darn thing anywhere around.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5 foot high fence only helps keep the birds in but not varmints out if they want in that is. I too have a fence around my chicken pen but I have a hot hot at the top and also once about middle of the fence on the out side. Also to keep hawks etc out I have baler twine running from roof top to top of fence here and there. The idea of that is a hawk or owl will not fly into a place like that since they know they can get hung up trying to get back out

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Britcheflee wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:09:42 01/15/13) Something came during the day and got over a 5ft high fence, took a full grown hen and back over the fence with a trail of feathers heading towards the brush - just cant imagine what could do that.

Bloody cold here - main line to septic tank appears to be blocked up - not sure if it is frozen up or coagulated grease - snaked it out but could not reach all the way to the septic tank - so something blocking up about 4 ft from tank or at point pipe enters tank.....or leach field frozen up? Man I hate cold weather.

Lee

Maybe or7 has moved a bit more south!! OR7 is a wandering wolf from Oregon and is in northern California!!

CJ in Michigan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neighbor"s dog?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep.. my pens have netting over the top to keep the hawks and hoot owls out..

Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

soundguy wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:58:06 01/15/13) yep.. my pens have netting over the top to keep the hawks and hoot owls out..

I hope to get them through the next few weeks until it warms up again then re-assess what to do to keep them secure. For the moment I have a radio on a talk show to make it sound like someone is there - decided that Rush Limbaugh would be the best to scare those abundant critters off!!!!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

motion lamp may work

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shoot G all you guys get down your way is cool weather LOL . Now if you got up this way I might agree but then this that we are having is still not as cold as I have lived with. Been in the teens at night and maybe up to 30 here during the days

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OT what got my chicken? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That"s too cold for me---give me 70-90 and I"m happy..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters