Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First N you ever drove?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete76NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess we should include Jubies, 6,7,8 and 900s. Although I had putzed around on a cpl at the dealer, the 1st one I ever spent any significant time on was Dad's '47 2n

W_B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My first Ford was a Fordson Dexta and 6000 Commander we used to farm with back in the late 60s, early 70s. My first N is the 9N I still have that I bought back in 1992 when we moved from city to a rural property. I also have an 8N now.

TJ in KY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Dad's 1950 8N when I was 8 or 9. I had to be able to depress the clutch and brake while sitting in seat before he would let me drive it alone. After he quit farming in the early 60's he would mow vacant lots for extra money. I would get to drive the tractor on the street to move it from job to job while he followed in the car. I still have the tractor and in process of restoring it. Great memories...

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the first ford was back in 1981, the plant i worked at had a jubilee around for a chore tractor and keeping the weeds down, today ive owned that very tractor about 12 or 13 years ,first tractor overall was a farmall c, around 1970

pconnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my first n is a 9 thats outside in its shed..got it in 82..mowed lawn with it ..followed me around the country..doing all kinds of work..never a minute of trouble..now its semi retired with the other 6 of them..including a jubi and 4000 backhoe..dont need to tell you what i think of them..phil

ScoutB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 1940 9N I bought this fall is the first N I ever drove.

Delvaughn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad had a 8N not sure the year but it had a sherman trans. This was around 1955. I was 5 years old. Dad had just finished in a wheat field an let me drive the tractor an wagon to the barn. He put it in the slowest gear an drove his tractor around me. Then he walked back to get me. I remmember this like it was today. Mom wasn"t happy. LOL

GEO/2/8N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first tractor that I drove was A 1949 8N>It was onthe dairy farm that we bought in 1951,At that time I was 3 Iwould sit on my dad or grand dads lap and steer!but they had there feet on the steer rod ends.Well Dad Has passed and the farm was sold.but I stilll have that tractor,it is under going restore now,as the other post,ther is A lot of fond memorys connected to that tractor,and the F20 we had which is gone. Thanks all for A great site George

Charles Krammin
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My first Ford-Ferguson was a 1939 9N at about 9 years of age, equiped with 2-14 ferguson plow,cordwood saw, sidemount mower, Love pick-up disc. It was trade in on a 1950 8N after I wore the 9N out (about 3 overhauls,1 broke axle, chipped ring, gear shifter lever, many unstick hydraulic control valve.)
This picture is of the tractor at the Fennville cider mill, with my brother as driver, and my cousin siting on the hood, but about my age. This was the first 9N in Allegan County and worked hard during WW-II.

Charles Krammin SW MI

Gaspump
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was our 1940 9N way back in the early 40's. The old way of making hay was to have one man on the ground pitching up haycocks to the second man on the wagon, whistle to the horses and they advanced to the next haycock. Two uncles handled this well. In comes the new hay loader, now one man on the 9N and one on the wagon. The man on the wagon could not keep up as the hay gushed up the loader and spilled onto and over flowed the wagon. Needed to have both men on the wagon. Thats where I came in, just heavy enough to push down and let up on the clutch. I drove it down the windrows stopped at the end and one man got off the hay wagon and turned the tractor to the next row where I again took over. I was soon pressured to learn how to turn the rig to the next row and I did. I also quickly learned how to back up the narrow ramped drive to the hay barn and pull the rope to haul the hay fork up the trolley that switched to travel to the hay mow where the two uncles neatly stacked the hay by hand. Long days in mid summer heat, still have some N's as well as some of that work ethic left but not that much energy!

John in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1951 8N with Sherman combo: "Nellybelle" and me since 1953. Purchased by my father and is willed to my son, Rick. This picture was taken at Nike Park, Monroe, Mich. in July, 2003, 50 years. This year is 60 years. My goal is to make 90 years (or die trying).

oldsarge

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The same'44 2N that's out in the barn right now,
Dad bought it new when he started farming in 44.
I had to stand on the clutch with two feet to stop or shift at first.I don't have that problem 60 years later. LOL

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well if your including the 801/841 series it would be the 841 with Sherman combo that we have owned since the early 80s. Has a heavy duty front end loader and has been used and abused but had the engine rebuilt back in the 1987 or so. Funny thing is it took owning it for about 2 or 3 years before we found out it has 2 aux gears in the Sherman. We always thought it had a low and a high but did non know about the standard gears till I stopped and looked at the shifting plate under the steering wheel and found the extras

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great picture! Love it.

Richard from SE AZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: First N you ever drove? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That will be the one I have now.I'm not a farmer. Retired underground hardrock miner. Moved from Tucson 100 miles SE into rural area. Needed something other than a riding lawnmower to maintain 10 acres and gravel road. Decided to buy a small tractor and decided on a Ford N cuz I thought they were so cool.Bought one In Roundup Montana in 1999 and hauled it to within 45 miles of the Mexican border. Turned out to be a 46 2N. Never heard of a 2N. Really good condition but it smoked some. Used it like that for 5 yrs. Had engine rebuilt. Still use it alot. Really love that so simple,versatile machine.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.