Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your 1st pull

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete76NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where? How old? What tractor? What Class? How did you do?
Mine was about age 35, Dad had his '47 2N at the Broome County, NY Fair for the display at our Club's show. I happened by as the antique/stock pull was starting, figured "why not?" Won the #3500 class and been pulling ever since!
Since then I have heard some lessons: don't expect that an N is gonna go out and win regularly (mostly pull Red stuff now), and if ya want any type of organization and rules and expect them followed, don't pull at County Fair pulls (usually if it doesn't have NATPA rules and a Div 1 class I don't go!)

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My first was in 1998 at age 49 at Lancaster NH fair. I had just gotten my first old tractor, a 1961 Ford 1961, six months earlier. I entered the 4500#, on a soft track against a bunch of tractors that were all physically bigger than mine. The 901 was tired with a fair amount of blow by, and all I knew to do was have my weight close to the max and my draw bar at max height. Well, I placed second, and have been hooked on tractor pulling ever since.

2-lunger

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around 2005 I pulled my 880 Oliver diesel it weighed 5500 pounds with no weights and that's how I pulled it because I didn't have any weights.I was 40 and I had just retired from racing on dirt in circles for 15 years and I wanted to do something a little more laid back. I didn't even place,after that I started pulling John deeres and started placing and even winning. Now I pull a jd g I rescued from the crusher and place in top 3 almost every time I take it out so I've come a long ways from that first pull with the old Ollie. It was at our county fair.

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was about 25. Been to a few pulls to watch but never pulled before. A friend asked if I wanted to give his tractor a try. A bone stock JD 520. I was so nervous I was shaking, but I loved it! Got down near the end of the track and started spinning. Grabbed the throttle and yanked it back. Tractor got a bite and started going again. About 5 feet lated it poped out of gear. I don't remember how I placed - near the back of the class I guess. The next summer I bought my first tractor and haven't missed a chance to pull since.

Ray Tellin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was 12 at a farm pull in Clermont Iowa on an Oliver 88. I think the weight class was 4500 or 5500. Not sure how I finished but it has "hooked" me for than 19 years with no plans of ever quitting.

Gary41a
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

June 30 2007 at Butte Nebraska Pancake Days tractor pull. Took the tractor I have driven since age 3,an unstyed JD B. One other tractor in 3500,a WC Allis. I went 72 feet,the Allis went 90 feet. The "B" has since retired from pulling,used for Parades such as RFD TV"s Classic Tractor parade world record in Grand Island in 2012.
Have graduated to the 41A with a few improvements due to good advice from puller friends. Highlights second in 5500 at Lincoln NATPA pull in March 2012,and Borderline Pullers Champion for 2011 in 5000 and 5500.

Snot Nosed Kid
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was 8 years old on a 1942 DC Case at the Isanti County fair in Cambridge, Mn. The DC was my great grandpa's and I had just got done helping my grandpa restore it just a month or so earlier. I can't remember how I did, but I know I didn't place. I've been a hard core puller ever since!

560gaspuller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my first pull, a farmall H . i think i got about 140 feet, pure stock tractor, still had manure on the tires! 4500 pound class, polk county fair wi.

brentp4455
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was 12 years old, that was about 8 years ago.
Pulled a 1949 Massey Harris 44. I was too chicken
to even get it full throttle and of course it died
quickly and i was dead last. But there's just
something special about tractor pulling, and of
course i kept coming back until I started winning.
And God willing, i'll keep coming back til im dead.

M 5 Jack
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My first pull I was 14 pulling our MM M5 1961.WE did real good at small town pulls. Big thrills winning with Gvi on my 60th birthday, balancing
my sons UB on two wheels for over 60 ft. to win.
Trash talking with the guys at pulls given and taken. Pulling up to small town usa seeing 150 or so redone old tractors. Location central Illinois.

johninmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

County Fair in town on a John Deere 3020.I think I was about 14 took fourth place been pullin ever since.

Ron Brokaw
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was 14 (I'll be 73 in two days) and pulled my Dad's 30 Massey Harris on blacktop and step-on sled won and was hooked needless to say and still pulling 59 years later. Lord willing I'll will be out again 2013 (Tallmadge-Bluegrass-Mid-Atalantic-etc)diggin dirt.

TallPaulW
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2005, local fair, 1950 JD A that I restored ,placed 6 th out of 20 .I was 37 been pulling since , now my boy is starting to pull

830 man

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was 13 when i first pulled at the local fair on my first tractor, a 3010 john deere. I pulled in second gear in the 7000 lb class and spun out (3rd place). I now pull the same tractor in 4th gear and have a closet full of first place trophies (15 years later). I owe it all to my father who hopefully someday will get to see his grandkids experience the same thrill i have.

johninmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Your 1st pull Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Princeton minnesota at the mille lacs county fair that is. Felt pretty good outpulling a 966 that first time

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.