Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

9n transmision drain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrry

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: 9n transmision drain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 9n i changed the main shaft seal and now i need to drain the fluid and change it the drain plug is chewed up so bad i can't get a wrench on it. there is another plug in the rear and a plug on the side of the housing that is a small plug will all of the fluid drain out through the plug on the back it would solve my problem if i could drain it through the other plugs i can get them plugs out of but the front plug is going to take some time.any info is greatly appreciated. thanks larry

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n transmision drain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the 9N/2N/8N there is 3 drains one fill. Problem is you need to drain all 3 to get all the fluid out. One trick that some times works is welding a wash then a nut on to the plug so you can then get a wrench on it. Or a pipe wrench and a bottle jack and board so the wrench can not jump down and off. Also they only have the one fill place for the rear end hyds and transmission

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n transmision drain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking at cut-away, you can see why all 3 have to come out for a complete drain.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n transmision drain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is the large drain plug, you could try an impact gun with a sharp chisel and lower than normal air. HTH

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n transmision drain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 bungs, 1 plug drain.. all ont he bottom.

try a pipe wrench held up with a jack.

if no.. then a chissle and mallet.. or even air chissle.

or weld a nut to the bung head and use a real big wrench on it.

L. B,
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n transmision drain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A small pipe wrench with a cheater, it works better then a large pipe wrench this is where big is not better large pipe wrench will want to roll off bung or plug. Welding a nut is also a good idea. The chisel and hammer will work but that would be my last resort.

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n transmision drain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had to weld a bar on mine , after it came loose , I just left an inch on bar for future use.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters