Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmission Tester with Picture

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Twelve Packs
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How does this work?

1370rod
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I seen that on ebay also, if memory is correct thats an old nick named blinky box. They are used to get the correct clutch overlap setting on RPS 34 equiped 70 series tractors, in other words powershift equiped. I have serviced these trsctors for fourty yrs and never used one. A case service rep showed us how to listen to the trans during shifting and adjust them by ear and feel. I really don;t know if other service personal actually used them much. For myself I think its a neat consersation piece, but not a required addition to the toolbox. To answer your question, you need to install those 2 censors in the test ports, hook up wires, and go through the shifts . The different colored lights told you how to adjust the then called retard screws. Rod.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod, I always wanted to have one for the shelf also as ours burnt up in our shop fire in 72, I used it on every 70 series we sold up to that point on the 200 hr "after-delivery" check-up we did, after the one burnt up and we were trying to recoup some of the losses we learded on own how to set them by ear like you said and decided we did not need one after all and like you said the "Blinky Box" was history LOL,,,,, fellow Blinky Box user LOL

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty 1660 wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:17:40 01/16/13) Rod, I always wanted to have one for the shelf also as ours burnt up in our shop fire in 72, I used it on every 70 series we sold up to that point on the 200 hr "after-delivery" check-up we did, after the one burnt up and we were trying to recoup some of the losses we learded on own how to set them by ear like you said and decided we did not need one after all and like you said the "Blinky Box" was history LOL,,,,, fellow Blinky Box user LOL

We still have ours and have used it many times. It is very sensitive to oil temp changes and if the oil is not brought to temp can cause tight overlaps that will cause the trans momentatily lock up stopping the tractor wheels sliding when the trans is backshifted by clutch pedal depresssion. I'm like the rest now, experience and your senses are your best tool.

mEl

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mEl I agree with you on the oil temp, we found out real early to hook them to the dyno and run them under load for 20 min or so to try for a uniform trans oil temp that seemed to get a better set on the screws/shift, always seemed like one guy would not be happy enough so we would go out when he was running in the field and do a feel test till he was happy, thats where we started to learn the box was not the best way to go, our service rep was a believer in the box and could set one with it darn good but I think he had more time using one than we could ever get with the numbers of tractors we sold, after the 200 hr service I hardly ever reset one except for a rebuild and that was 20 years later on the norm or more,,,, sorry I am ramble'in about the past way too much

1370rod
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Nutty, did you know fella's named Mark Henamen and Jerry Sweeney? Both were Reps when I got into this bussiness. Both hated the damn Bliney Box as they called it. They would adjust a tractor and two hrs later if the unit ether warmed up more or cooled down they found out it was out of adjustment again! Thats when they told us how to adjust without it, although they still had to demo the Box as CASE had told them. Ahhhh.... the good ole days, LOL, Rod.

Ande
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod,I knew Mark Huemanen,he was our territory man,for a few years,and he ended up in Racine,the last I saw him.Was good to us.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod, Jerry sounds familar but can not place him, the name of the guy who was the "70" series guro that called on us I can not think of his name but I think he was involved heavy into the design of them, my fav rep was Harvey Frick, what a great wealth of Case knowlage he had, he was a good friend and could take a joke well also, sure wish I would have had a video unit back them and would have spent a couple days recording him here I go again reliving the old days cnt

1370rod
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mark was a wonderful guy, to good to be out in the country so thats why CASE moved him to Racine. When the first 2470's were gear jumpers, he tore one down for us while I just assisted to show how to repair the problem. The job sucked and he was not afraid to get dirty, always admired him for that. Rod.

1370rod
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jerry lived in E central SD, did work for JD before coming to CASE, just thought maybe he got out your way. Rod.

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey.......Do you think that would hook up to my I phone? lol. I have one of the boxes........never used it...........I should go dig it out.

TomVAC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve worked at 2 different Case dealers. One they never used the blinky box, the other used it all the time. Oil temp seemed to be the key.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just curious, what was the cause of the gear jumping? Couple years ago I put a new cable on 1st and 2nd gear. Moves so easy it about falls out of 2nd and will come out under load after about 45 minutes use. Acts more like the spring on the detent is very weak, but would like to know if more serious. This on a very early 2470.

1968 403
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone have a Blinky Box for sale? Or know where I can buy one?

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Tester with Picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1968 403, I have one. Send me a email. Nutty if you are interested also, email me.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.