Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brady Miller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a smta. When you load it hard or rev it up, the valves chatter a lot. Just finished headvgasket replace, still smokes some when revving hard, and chatters. Installed a 450 head, with new valves guides etc. Reused old valve train. Timing light says it's on time on number one. I know I need to retorque and re gap valves, I understand there will be some chatter but mineis too much. Please advise

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ya but have you set the valve lash to .017?now?
also i am sure that a 450 head was longer valve stems than the super m head. so if you have not checked these things out you have a problem .

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guessing the time is advanced to much. Need to check the static time and distribtor advance. Or you have a piston to valve clearance problem.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Valves dont clatter unless loose or over reved (3000rpm would do that, but unlikely to be your issue) What you are likely to be hearing is spark knock. I believe your timing is either too advanced (possibly wrong timing mark, or other measurement issue, or the advance is not working.
Another issue is fuel. If a 450 head and other compression enhancing factors like bigger bore, or popup (domed) pistons were used it might need 92R+M/2 Premium fuel. If you find fuel to be the issue, retarding the spark with a different cam plate in the centrifugal advance might be a way to avoid knock and use regular. Jim

Brady Miller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So basically, get it warmed up, i want to retorque the head to insure nothing has backed off, reset the valve train assembly, reset the gap in the valve train to .017, then look at the timing and possibly retard. There does not seem to be much adjustment in the movement of the ditributor, so do I need to remove the geared pin in the distributor that has the cap on it and retard from there or what?

D beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The M,SuperM and 450 take the same intake and exhaust valves .

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here is some #'s from my w-400 head when i had it rebuilt.
valves: 362436 r1
length: 6.070
exhuast:36.i6
intake :15.01
i am sure that these are longer than the standard m valves. anybody have valves they can measure.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the wire terminal on dist. is to be positioned at 3 oclock position from factory.and #1spark plug wire is at 2 oclock position. this gives all kind of retard and advance travel when you loosen the two dist hold down bolts and turn accordingly.

Brady Miller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So are you talking about turning the cap to retard? or Finding top dead center of number 1, then remove that rotor cap in distributor to 2 o"clock while the spark plug cap on distributor is at 3 o clock right?

Brady Miller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the Distributor. I basically need to find top dead center #1. Spark plug cap at 3 o'clock, rotor in Distributor at 2 o'clock?

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no, i am saying that #1 spark plug goes to 2 oclock position on dist cap... thats a factory position. the little screw for the points on the distributer goes to the 3 oclock position... from factory. i am saying this cause i dont know what how your dist. is positioned and you say you have no travel. or just post a pic. of dist on tractor. you have to have dist. in proper position to get proper travel. once this is found out will go to next step.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok, now thats what i thought. that terminal with the wires needs to be at 3 oclock, which requires pulling the dist out and getting it in proper order.same with the plug wires there not correct either. now next step.

Brady Miller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, that terminal is the cap that the plug wires plug into? or is it the single wire coming from the coil?

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

now get #1 cyl. on compression at tdc.
take out the 2 dist bolts with clamps and pull out dist.
have cap off, turn rotor to 2 oclock as viewed from behind. hold dist so wire terminal is at 3 oclock and reinstall dist. leave bolts slightly loose.
recheck your timing marks on front pully make sure correct.
turn on ignition and rotate dist clockwise a bit, then turn counter clockwise till you just hear the spark snap. that is where you tighten the dist and you are timed.thats it. good luck

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall SMTA Valve chatter issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the terminal that is jammed into the coil and preventing rotation. it has to be at 3 oclock not 12 oclock as pictured.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.