Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sleeve installation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdc eastern ia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: sleeve installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just tried to install a sleeve in a 770 block. It went in hard and there seems..... no it does protrude out farther than the others. I'm guessing .002 maybe .003 I will measure with a straight edge tomorrow. I used dawn dish soap as a lubricant and the sleeve did not snap in like the ones in the 1550 rebuild video shows. My question is this normal or will i crack the head?

hd6gtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: sleeve installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you need to use something far slicker than dishwashing soap.

super99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: sleeve installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you working in a heated shop? Put the sleeves in the freezer for a day and if the block is warm, they should shrink enough to drop them right in. Chris

e
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: sleeve installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your gut tells you something isn't right, pull it and confirm you haven't rolled or cut an oring. That's the only way you'll know if anything has happened. It would stink to get it running and find it's dumping antifreeze in the oil.

rocko
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: sleeve installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of your O-rings may have rolled over on you and not be seated properly or possibley you might have something under the shoulder. Not sure if you would want to pull it again to check, you'll probabley need new O-rings for sure if you do. I think I would try to get it to sit to the same point as the others by using 2 or 4 bolts with big washers in your head bolt holes and cinch it down at the very least. Not easy to put preasure on water side with out head on but you might also first before any thing else want to at least put some water in to see if you have a leak when looking up from under side. That might give you an idea if your O-rings are okay. Is it normal, I don't have enough experience to tell you but when I rebuilt my 1550 I had pretty much the same situation,# 6 last cylinder at back if I remember correctly and I did what I have suggested to you. Still holding about 800 hrs later. Sure there are others out there with lot more know how than me and You'd probabley be wise to wait for their input. Just giving you my 2 cents. I had never rebuilt a motor before that and was worried and ancious about the end product. Hope this helps you. Rocko.

Tom Rowe-Drake
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: sleeve installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you get that sleeve out take the orings off and set the sleeve back in the hole. It should NOT hangup and you can turn it in place. If not you need to correct the interfearance. Then, with the sleeve out look at the ramp on the bottom of the block where the orings start to get tight. Look for spots of skale/rust/flakes that will damage and or pinch the oring "too" soon as the sleeve gets close to seating.Chip off and sand/clean. Reinstall the orings dry to the sleeve, then use a icepick to realign the oring , I rotate the icepick 5 or 6 times under the oring . this untwists it. Now soap it up and happy sleeving.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: sleeve installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the soap is not the problem, and is perfectly ok to use.

Schim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: sleeve installation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was always told to never freeze a sleeve if its a wet sleeve. I can see why but have never heard of anyone doing this so who knows if it will hold water. e is right, if youre gut is telling you something is wrong pull it back out. You might possibly have to get new o rings but I think you can get them seperate. While that sleeve is out do exactly as Tom Rowe-Drake says. You may have to clean that area up where the o rings sit in the block. Also make sure you have no crud on the top of the block where the lip of the sleeve sits.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.